You are here
2020-2021 New Superintendent Academy
Objective: To provide beginning Oregon Superintendents an opportunity to create a collaborative learning network focused on key leadership skills and practical strategies to help improve their individual school districts. Participants will attend a series of workshops throughout the 2020-21 school year, scheduled in conjunction with key COSA events and conferences. A complimentary registration is provided to each Academy participant for both the Oregon Law Conference and the Winter COSA conference.
Goals: Each workshop is organized around a presentation related to a designated leadership topic. Perspectives unique to ESDs and districts of varying sizes will be included in each workshop. Following each presentation, time will be provided for participants to ask questions as well as to share immediate concerns and strategic issues with experienced Superintendents. All participants will have the opportunity to share district and ESD-specific procedures and processes for feedback from experienced Superintendents.
Mentorship Support: Each Academy participant is paired with a skilled mentor. Every attempt is made to maximize the pairing of the new superintendent and the mentor. The facilitators of the Academy have decades of superintendent experience and are available for support throughout the year.
In addition, every executive leader and expert that presents during the Academy sessions agrees to be called up as needed by the new superintendent participants. Executives and experts in the past have included Colt Gill, ODE Director; Jim Green, OSBA Executive Director; Dave Harvey, PACE Director; Nancy Hungerford, founder of The Hungerford Law Firm; Renee Sessler, OSBA Board Development; Christy Perry, Salem SD Superintendent; and Carol Samuels, Piper Sandler Managing Director.
• July 23, 2020, 8:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. (online)
• September 23, 2020, noon-4 p.m., Salem Convention Center, preceding Sept. 24 Statewide Equity Summit
• November 3, 2020, 9 a.m.-11 a.m. (online)
• December 4, 2020, 8:30 a.m.- noon, Oregon Law Conference, Eugene
• January 27, 2021, 5 p.m.-8 p.m., COSA Winter Conference at Salishan with Business Managers and OASBO
• January 28, 8 a.m.-11:30 a.m., COSA Winter Conference at Salishan
• February 25, 2021, 2 p.m.-7 p.m., Salem (preceding February 26 Superintendent meeting)
• April 15, 2021, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. PACE Day; 5:30 p.m. dinner and yearend celebration
Cost: $975 for the year-long Academy experience
Full scholarships are available for diverse superintendents in these categories:
• Leaders of color
• Members of the LGBTQ community
• Bilingual leaders
Registration: Contact Sera Lockwood at email@example.com or 503-581-3141
Questions: Contact Krista Parent, COSA Director of Executive Leadership, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-480-7201