Brookings-Harbor School District
Invites applications for the position of
Location: Brookings, Oregon
Enrollment: 1,550 students
Base Salary: $125,000 to $135,000 plus benefits
Closing Date: January 8, 2020
Start Date: July 1, 2020
About the Position
The Brookings-Harbor School District Board of Directors is seeking a highly qualified candidate with visionary leadership skills and successful experience in education administration to serve as superintendent. The successful candidate must have experience as an administrator, excellent communication skills, unquestionable integrity and be willing to be involved in the community. The Board will offer a competitive compensation package to the successful candidate. The successful candidate must hold or qualify for an Oregon superintendent's license.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the following qualities:
• An innovative leadership style that collaborates, builds consensus, empowers and inspires while building a respectful work environment across the district;
• A “systems” thinker that can create effective procedures and protocols providing consistency throughout the K-12 school system;
• Effective and transparent communication; builds genuine relationships;
• A visionary with a strong sense of purpose to provide a unified direction committed to serving ALL students;
• Background in teaching and building administration at multiple levels; preferably in small rural communities with diverse populations similar to Brookings-Harbor; can mentor/support staff as appropriate;
• Willingness to make a long-term commitment to our school district/community;
• High degree of integrity/honesty; respectful of all groups;
• Is personable/approachable while keeping an open mind; willing to listen and value the experts in the classroom;
• Ability to build and sustain strong, effective community/business partnerships that impact student success;
• Proven ability to make tough decisions when necessary and effectively communicate the reasons (transparency).
About the District
The Brookings-Harbor School District serves about 1,550 students in 3 schools. There is one K-5 elementary school, one 6-8 middle school and one 9-12 high school. The District employs a staff of 207 employees: 105 classified employees, 95 certified employees, 10 confidential employees, and seven administrators. Brookings-Harbor has a general fund budget of approximately $18.9 million. The District fosters a “graduation culture,” which resulted in achieving its highest graduation rate of 76.98% in 2017. Brookings-Harbor School District has a focus on CTE and dual credit opportunities, staff professional development and trauma-informed practices.
About the Community
The city of Brookings is located on the beautiful Southern Oregon Coast six miles north of the California border on U.S. Highway 101. It is bounded by the Chetco River and Port of Brookings Harbor to the south and to the north, by Harris Beach State Park. The city boasts balmy ocean breezes, spectacular views, and a host of outdoor recreational activities including fishing, hiking, golfing, kayaking, biking, swimming, beachcombing, whale watching. Brookings is ranked the #1 Best Commuter City in Oregon
in Obrella's "The Best and Worst Commuter Cities in Oregon" report.
• Completed Application form
• Current resume
• Cover letter of interest
• 3-5 current letters of reference
• Copy of administrator license or proof of eligibility to obtain one
• A statement about how you meet the qualities and qualifications set by the Board
How to Submit an Application
Application packets are submitted to Oregon School Boards Association – Executive Search (www.osba.org/execjobs) via the Revelus application portal (see the link below). All applicants will submit a candidate profile (completed when you create your Revelus account) and a completed application, as well as upload the other application material documents to the application portal. The application packet must be submitted by 5pm on the closing day.
OSBA Revelus application portal: https://oregonschoolboards.myrevelus.com/
Regarding the position, contact:
Steve Kelley, Director of Board Development and Executive Searches
email@example.com • 503.588.2800 • 800.578.6722 • 503.588.2813 (Fax)
Regarding the application process, contact:
Sarah Herb, Executive Search and Events Specialist firstname.lastname@example.org • 503.400-3047 (direct) • 800.578.6722 • 503.588.2813 (Fax)
Brookings-Harbor School District is an equal opportunity employer.