GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION: The Director of Special Services plans, directs, organizes and administers the special education programs for the district. The Director is a member of the District Cabinet and is responsible for overseeing the full scope of Special Services Department to help the District achieve its vision and mission. The Director will ensure that effective instructional practices are in place to meet students’ individual education plans (IEP’s).
Physical ability to adhere to OSHA and district safety regulations. Work within the district’s communicable disease control plan (blood borne pathogens) and be aware of the existence and potential exposure to hazardous chemicals as identified on the MSDS sheets.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties of this position include the following. Employees in this position perform some or all of the following tasks.
• Direct all special services efforts related to district’s strategic plan:
o Attract, recruit, and retain highly effective staff
o Provide leadership to and training of special education staff
o Utilize evaluation and support systems to promote professional growth
o Promote shared leadership and professionalism
• Develop, recommend, and administer policies, administrative regulations, and programs relating to special education services
• Monitor compliance with federal law, Oregon Administrative Rules, and the district’s special education procedures
• Work with building principals to ensure a quality program for each special education student.
• Supervise and evaluate the licensed and classified staff assigned to the district level special education office
• Develop, administer, and evaluate district procedures for compliance with IDEA
• Administer district special education budget
• Oversees performance management functions for all Special Education employee groups (Administrator, Licensed, Classified Confidential and Supervisory)
• Assists administrators and supervisors in resolving special services problems.
• Provides special services department representation to various committees, special interest groups and public meetings.
• Serves as a member of the Superintendent’s cabinet.
• Other duties as assigned by the superintendent.
• Regular attendance is an essential function of this position.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Special Services or related field
• Must possess or be eligible for a valid and appropriate state of Oregon administrative license
• At least five (5) years of special services management and/or related experience preferred
• Successful experience as a teacher, special education experience preferred
• Commitment and knowledge about RTI and EBISS teams
Directly supervises employees in the Special Services Department. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the district’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; assigning and directing work; appraising performance; disciplining employees; and addressing concerns and resolving problems. In cooperation with building and district level administration, the Director will also provide input on administrator evaluation and directly evaluate the following positions:
• District special services coordinators
• Special services executive assistants
• Special services specialists
• Special services teachers
• Others as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Knowledge of special services practices, statutes and service provider licensing rules
• Working knowledge of current laws relating to special education and Section 504
• Demonstrated ability to motivate and lead others
• Strong commitment to working as an integral part of the administrative team.
• Think creatively and be flexible
• Establish and maintain accurate records
• Continuously improve professionally
• Adheres to all standards established by TSPC for competent and ethical education.
• Adhere to all Oregon Administrative Rules related to licensed educators.
• Maintain appropriate licenses and training hours as required.
• Work independently and make decisions in areas not having precedents or established procedures
• Be an effective model of constructive change
• Organize and direct others
• Meet timelines and be concerned about detail
• Work effectively as a key member of the district management team
• Carry out directions and directives
• Effectively interact with others in difficult situations
• Interpret and comply with laws, rules and policies
• Engage in community service organizations as a district representative to promote district initiatives and engage the parent community in positive and productive ways
• Effectively utilize computers and other equipment necessary in operating the special services office
• Accurately transfer, record and convey information
• Communicate effectively orally, in writing, and over the telephone
• Motivate others through effective leadership
• Maintain positive working relationships with community partners, parents, staff and students
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
Letter of Application
Current resume, including email address
Three current letters of recommendation with complete contact information
Official or unofficial college transcripts
Any other supporting materials
Salary Range: *$114,281.38-$129,281.38 (2020/2021 range)
Position to begin July 1, 2021.
*2021/2022 salary is dependent upon contract negotiations.