Internships & Projects
Yearlong internships build knowledge
Internships are at the heart of what the COSA-CUC program is all about. Our candidates tell us there’s nothing like actually doing the work to make the learning meaningful.
Unlike many programs in Oregon, the COSA-CUC curriculum features a job-embedded, year-long experience that deals with annual improvement and progress, not just a snapshot of limited activities.
Candidates spend a year immersed in a project of their choice, one that has meaning for them and for their district. Each internship culminates in a comprehensive report on the district project. Past projects have included math standards, attendance and literacy.
You'll never be alone. Each candidate works closely with a university supervisor (see Faculty list) and a district mentor. University supervisors are skilled Oregon educators dedicated to helping students succeed. Onsite mentors play a mission-critical role by providing immediate support, advice, access to information, and encouragement. Candidates meet with their support team (university supervisor and district mentor) multiple times throughout the year.
2016-2017 District Mentors
We would like to acknowledge the hard work of the district mentors, who volunteer their valuable time to help our candidates across the state succeed.
ProAL District Mentors
- Terry Prestioni, Superintendent, Sutherlin School District
- Allison Galvin, Executive Director, Oregon Connections Academy, Santiam Canyon SD
- Sean Gallagher, Superintendent, Brookings Harbour School District
- BJ Blake, Director of Secondary Education, Eugene School District 4J
- Jay Mathisen, Deputy Superintendent, Bend-La Pine School District
PreAL District Mentors
- Stefanie Garber, Superintendent, Culver School District
- Lee Loving, Principal, Ridgeview High School, Redmond School District
- Brian Crook, Principal, High Desert Middle School, Bend School District
- Steve Retzlaff, Principal, Ashland Middle School, Ashland School District
- Sabrina Belletti, Principal, Bandon High School, Bandon School District
- Heidi Brown, South Lane
- Nikki Opp, Roseburg
- Bruce Martin, North Bend
- Art Houghtalin, Falls City
- Heather Bridgens, South Lane
- Peter Barsotti, Fern Ridge
- Melissa Hausmann, Ashbrook Independent School
- Cynthia Richardson, Principal, North Salem High School, Salem Keizer School District
- Carlynn Capps, Principal, West Gresham Elementary, Gresham Barlow School District
- Skyler Rodolph, Principal, Ninety-One School, Canby School District
- Aaron Cooke, Director of Programs, Oregon Virtual Academy, North Bend School District
- Stacey Sibley, Program Coordinator, Clackamas ESD