Legal & Contracts
COSA members often benefit from having COSA review their employment contracts with districts.
At a member's request, COSA staff will review employment contracts for individual administrators and provide recommendations. Reviews analyze contract terms and provide recommendations on specific areas. Of late, potentially disadvantageous termination clauses have been an area of focus.
To request a contract review, please contact Craig Hawkins.
Professional advice and legal services are available to all active COSA members on matters relating to their employment and professional assignments.
Additional legal assistance is available to members who belong to one of COSA’s national affiliates — the American Association of School Administrators (AASA), the National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP), or the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP).
Members seeking these services must contact the COSA Executive Director or his/her designee (503-581-3141).
What Assistance is Available?
- Legal assistance from COSA’s attorney. With the approval of the Executive Director or his/her designee, each COSA Active member is eligible for two hours of counsel with COSA’s attorney plus up to $1,000 of assistance from COSA’s attorney or an attorney approved by the COSA Executive Director.
- Confidential counsel furnished by COSA staff or members identified by the COSA staff.
Legal Support Through National Associations
COSA members who belong to the following national associations are eligible for legal assistance (above that provided by COSA).
- AASA -- One thousand dollars for each year of consecutive membership up to $10,000. ($700 deductible)
- NAESP -- One thousand dollars for each year of consecutive membership up to $10,000. ($500 deductible)
- NASSP -- One thousand dollars for each year of consecutive membership up to $10,000. ($500 deductible)
- Call the Executive Director (503-581-3141) to discuss your need for professional assistance. ALL CALLS ARE CONFIDENTIAL.
- Determine with COSA staff which type of assistance is appropriate/needed.
- COSA Executive Director or designee authorizes legal assistance or implements advice and counsel procedure.
- If legal assistance is needed and you are also a member of a national association call the appropriate national organization, call:
- AASA (703) 875-0717
- NAESP (703) 684-3345
- NASSP (703) 860-0200