You are here
Five Oregon high schools receive grants from California Casualty
San Mateo, CA, April 1, 2015 – COSA business partner California Casualty has announced that five Oregon high schools – Alliance High School (Portland), Clatskanie Middle/High School, Hillsboro High School, Oregon City High School and West Albany High School– have been awarded $1,000 California Casualty Thomas R. Brown Athletics Grants.
The grant is named after California Casualty Chairman Emeritus Thomas R. Brown, who recognized that teamwork and success on the field translated to the classroom. Since its inception in 2011, over $400,000 has been awarded to help more than 300 public high schools across the nation; many with large student populations that receive free or reduced-cost lunches.
The schools will use The Thomas R. Brown Athletics Grant to:
- Pay for basic necessities (uniforms, shorts and shoes) for athletes on the Alliance High basketball team
- Replace torn uniforms and obsolete track and field equipment still used by the Clatskanie Middle/High track team
- Fund the coed soccer program at Hillsboro High that is in debt and in danger of being discontinued
- Provide rackets to Oregon City High students, as well as purchase nets and ball baskets used by the girls tennis team
- Replace the 20 year old mismatched cotton track warm ups with waterproof suits for West Albany High’s track team
“California Casualty has partnered with educational associations for more than 60 years,” said Doug Goldberg, Senior Vice President. “We understand the important role athletics play in the education of our youth, and we are honored to give back.”
Information and guidelines for the 2015/2016 California Casualty Thomas R. Brown Athletics Grants are available at https://www.calcasathleticsgrant.com.
California Casualty has other initiatives that give back to educators for all the hard work they do, such as the $7,500 School Lounge Makeover, www.schoolloungemakeover.com and the $2,500 Academic Award, www.calcasacademicaward.com.
Celebrating 100 years, California Casualty has proudly provided the Oregon Education Association’s NEA® Auto and Home Insurance Program since 1974. Headquartered in San Mateo, CA, with Service Centers in Arizona, Colorado and Kansas, California Casualty has been led by four generations of the Brown family. To learn more about California Casualty, or to request an auto insurance quote, please visit www.calcas.com/OEA or call 1.800.800.9410.