You are here
Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct
Interim Standards of Professional Conduct for COSA members
Adopted by the COSA Board on 6-30-21
- COSA members are expected to demonstrate a commitment to the following professional standards and conduct themselves in an ethical manner at all times. Specific expectations include, but may not be limited to:
- Recognition of the worth and dignity of all persons and respect for each individual they interact with, including students, staff, and parents;
- Use of professional judgement when appearing and speaking in public on matters related to education in Oregon;
- Communication, both verbally and written, is factual, accurate, and respectful;
- Willingness to be flexible and collaboratively work with others to resolve conflict;
- COSA members will act ethically and adhere to professional norms at all times while demonstrating awareness of equitable and culturally responsive practices;
- COSA members will act according to and promote the professional norms of integrity, fairness, transparency, trust, collaboration, perseverance, learning, and continuous improvement;
- Safeguard and promote the values of democracy, responsibility, equity, social justice, community, and diversity; and
- Lead with interpersonal and communication skill, social-emotional insight, and understanding of all students’ and staff members’ backgrounds and cultures.
- Failure to adhere to any of these standards may result in loss of membership privileges, up to and including expulsion from COSA per the organizational bylaws.
- Each COSA member has the right to file a written complaint against another member of the Coalition. Complaints must be submitted to the Executive Director of the organization.
- The Coalition Board has the sole discretion to investigate or dismiss each complaint against a Coalition member.
- Per the COSA Bylaws (Article XI, Section 1): “The Coalition Board shall have the power to censure, suspend, or expel any member for cause after due notice and an opportunity for hearing. An appeal for reconsideration of the decision of the Coalition Board concerning censure, suspension, or expulsion of any member may be made to the Coalition Board. The Coalition Board shall have the authority to lift a censure or to reinstate a suspended or expelled member.”