You are here
Accelerate Transformation through Personalized Learning
Sixth Annual BEC/COSA Institute
2017 marks the sixth annual Business Education Compact and Confederation of Oregon School Administrators Personalized Learning Institute. This event hails industry and state leaders and innovative education practitioners from across the state who are committed to accelerate the transformation of our education system through personalized learning.
This conference should not be missed. Here’s why:
- No other conference offered west of Mississippi on proficiency/personalized learning.
- Get expert help on challenges with personalized/proficiency strategies.
- Learn about Career Technology Education, public/private partnerships, and Ballot Measure 98.
- Engage your students on a career pathway that includes decoding, design and invention for all students. Hear how students match mindsets with personalized learning opportunities utilizing partnerships with their local business community.
- Bring a team and develop your own school plan in a Design Lab with national experts who have helped other school districts move through the challenges and hurdles in transforming systems and schools to these best teaching strategies.
- Receive a free copy of; It’s About Time A Framework for Proficiency-based Teaching & Learning, at registration and a guest pass to Columbia Sportswear Employee Store.
- Take a private tour of Daimler’s amazing workplace that you’ll want to share with your colleagues.
We have experienced facilitators coming from KnowledgeWorks in Cincinatti, including the former Principal of Lindsay School District, Virgel Hammond! You won’t want to miss meeting him. There are 3 design labs that Virgel’s team will lead:
- Design Lab # 1: Leadership for Personalized Learning, Virgel Hammonds, Chief Learning Officer, KnowledgeWorks. Intended for district office and site leadership.
- Design Lab # 2: Supporting Effective Practices, Lori Phillips, assistant Director Teaching and Learning, KnowledgeWorks. Intended for educators beginning to implement personalized learning strategies and structures in their own practice.
- Design Lab # 3: Supporting Effective Practices, Robin Kanaan, Director Teaching & Learning, KnowledgeWorks. Intended for educators ready to delve deeper intro strategies for a learner-centered classroom through student agency.
- Design Lab #4: Exemplary Oregon Programs (McMinnville, Dayton, Ashland, Aloha, Salem-Keizer, and Oregon Department of Education.
Click here to view the schedule and design lab descriptions.
The goal of this event is to build awareness and understanding of how to personalize teaching and learning for the purpose of increasing student learning outcomes.
- Consider specific state policies that could help districts develop and sustain the conditions necessary to scale personalized learning
- Explore how the state can help support districts in developing visions for teaching and learning
- Identify stakeholder roles to help create a shared vision and collaborative learning environment
- Share strategies to develop student voice and choice in learner-centered environments
Participants will not only become advocates for transforming learning in their districts and constituencies, but will also help to define Oregon’s statewide vision that places a high value on personalized education with a focus on teaching and learning methods aligned to state content standards and individual students’ interests and abilities.
Friday, March 3
"Shifting the Paradigm of Teaching"
- Robin Kanaan, Director of Teaching and Learning, KnowledgeWorks
- Lori Phillips, Assistant Director of Teaching and Learning, KnowledgeWorks
Daimler Trucks North America Headquarters
4555 N. Channel Ave.
Portland, OR 97217
Phone (503) 745-8000