Principal – Greenwood Elementary School
Open: March 19, 2021 - Closes: April 11, 2021 – 9 PM
The La Grande School District is accepting applications for a full-time (1.0 FTE) Principal for Greenwood Elementary. The Principal position is responsible for the overall operation of the school and effectively coordinates the efforts of all personnel to ensure that each student is provided the highest quality education.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Establish and maintain a safe, positive and effective learning climate in the school.
2. Initiate, design and implement programs to meet specific needs of the school.
3. Keep the superintendent informed of the school’s activities and issues.
4. Make recommendations concerning the school’s administration and instruction.
5. Assist in the management and preparation of the school budget and monitor expenditures of funds.
6. Supervise the maintenance of all required building records and reports.
7. Prepare or supervise the preparation of reports, records, lists and all other paperwork required or appropriate to the school’s administration.
8. Work with various members of the central administrative staff on school coordination of more than in-school import, such as transportation and special services.
9. Keep supervisor informed of events and activities of an unusual nature as well as routine matters related to the supervisor’s accountability.
10. Assume responsibility for the implementation and observance of all Board policies and regulations by the school’s staff and students.
11. Maintain active relationships with students and parents.
12. Lead in the development, determination of appropriateness, and monitoring of the instructional program.
13. Schedule classes within established guidelines to meet student needs.
14. Assist in the development, revision, and evaluation of the curriculum.
15. Maintain an emotionally healthy and physically safe environment conducive to the total educational experience and effective student discipline, according to due process rights of students.
16. Attend special events held to recognize student achievement, and attend school-sponsored activities, functions and athletic events.
17. Supervise the maintenance of accurate records on the progress and attendance of students.
18. Assume responsibility for the attendance, conduct and maintenance of health of students.
19. Assume responsibilities for his or her own professional growth and development though membership and participation in the affairs of professional organizations; attendance at regional, state and national meetings; and enrollment in advanced courses.
20. Keep abreast of changes and developments in the profession by attending professional meetings, reading professional journals and other publications and discussing problems of mutual interest with others in the field.
21. Supervise all professional, paraprofessional, administrative and support personnel attached to the school.
22. Participate in the selection and supervision of all school building personnel.
23. Supervise the school’s teaching process.
24. Orient newly assigned staff members and assist in their development, as appropriate.
25. Coordinate evaluation and provide counsel to all building staff including classified and licensed staff regarding their individual and group performance.
26. Conduct staff meetings to keep members informed of such things as policy changes and new programs.
27. Assist in the in-service orientation and training of teachers, with special responsibility for staff administrative procedures and instructions.
28. Recommend, according to established procedures, the removal of a teacher whose work is unsatisfactory.
29. Make arrangements for special conferences between parents and teachers.
30. Provide for adequate inventories of school property and for the security and accountability for that property.
31. Supervise all activities and programs that are outgrowths of the school’s curriculum.
32. Supervise and evaluate the school’s extracurricular program.
33. Participate in principals’ meetings, negotiations meetings and other such meetings as are required or appropriate.
34. Serve as ex officio member of all committees and councils within the school.
35. Respond to written and oral requests for information.
36. Assume responsibility for all official school correspondence and news releases.
37. Act as liaison between the school and the community, interpreting activities and policies of the school and encouraging community participation in school life.
38. Delegate authority to responsible personnel to assume responsibility for the school in the absence of the principal.
Valid Oregon Administrative License (Principal License) and a minimum of four (4) years of teaching and management experience in the field of education. Prefer elementary experience.
Employment, Salary and Benefits
1. This is a full-time (1.0 FTE), approximately 215-day position, including 9 paid holidays.
2. Placement on the La Grande School District Administrative salary schedule, range 5, step 1- 9 ($94,798.08 - $113,267.70*) ** Salary will be reduced until successful candidate holds an unrestricted Oregon Administrative License.
3. La Grande School District will support payment for health, dental and vision insurance premiums. Employer-paid PERS is provided to qualified employees.
1. Please complete the application found on the La Grande School District website.https://www.lagrandesd.org/page/employment-opportunities
2. Completed applications with required supplemental materials must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or the Human Resources Department, La Grande School District, 1305 North Willow, La Grande, OR 97850 by 9 PM on April 11, 2021.
Reasonable accommodations for the application and interview process will be provided upon request and as required in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Individuals with disabilities may contact Codi Eby, Administrative Assistant at 541-663-3212 for additional information or assistance. Speech/Hearing impaired persons may contact the La Grande School District for assistance through the Oregon Telecommunication Relay Service at 1-800-735-2900 or 711.
La Grande School District is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Women, minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged. Veteran’s preference shall be given.