HOPE CHINESE CHARTER SCHOOL (OR)
(A public charter school)
Invites applications for the position of
Sponsor District: Beaverton School District
Enrollment: 340 students
Salary range: $95,000 to $110,000 (DOE) annually plus benefits
Closing date: April 19, 2021 (but open until filled)
Employment begins: July 1, 2021
Reports to: School Board of Directors
About the Position
The Principal will be the administrator, educational and instructional leader of Hope Chinese Charter School (HCCS). Duties will be performed as prescribed by the laws of the state of Oregon. In addition to the powers and duties set forth in the Oregon Revised Statutes and OR Administrative Rules, the Principal shall have the additional powers and duties as set forth below.
• Develop students into becoming responsible, bilingual, bi-literate and multi-culturally competent members of the community.
• Create a positive and trusting school environment where all stakeholders, including teachers, staff and parents, feel heard, valued, and an important part of the organization.
• Support school goals as determined by HCCS and its Board of Directors.
• Leadership, strategic vision and growth of HCCS.
• Administers the day-to-day activities of the school in accordance with the mission, vision, plans and policies established by the HCCS Board.
• Recruit and retain staff that will work together to plan and carry out engaging and differentiated lessons in alignment with curriculum goals.
• Supports and collaborates with the Chinese, English, and Middle School Lead Teachers
• Sets academic vision; oversees selection, development, and implementation of curriculum.
• Provides instructional leadership, coaching and professional development and evaluates teaching and direct staff.
• Establishes, oversees and maintains all school programs (HCCS Charter) and policies in accordance with the direction of the board
• Responsible for financial and human resources
• Responsible to set and implement budgets for Board approval, collaborating with Director of Operations and Board Treasurer
• Ensures adequate record keeping and reporting
• Oversees Director of Operations to ensure smooth management of operations and facilities
• Builds strong community network
• Oversees and participates in management and development of resources that support best practices of language immersion education programs
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
• Education-Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university
• An advanced degree is preferred (MBA, MPA, JD, M.Ed.)
• Relevant education may substitute for experience and relevant experience may substitute for education if it can be demonstrated to provide equivalent functioning levels
• Hold and maintain an Oregon administrative license or register as a charter school administrator with the state of Oregon TSPC. If Charter Registry only, certification or work toward an administrative license is desired.
• Three (3) years of experience as lead administrator, including oversight responsibilities for each of the following areas, strategic development, operational planning, management and evaluation, program development and implementation, communications; contract development and administration, budget management and accounting and personnel management.
HCCS values a culture of equity, diverse perspectives, and life experiences. The School believes an increased focus on DEI and anti-bias/anti-racist policies will benefit marginalized groups--including BIPOC, LGBTQ, learning disabled, women, and lower socioeconomic status--and at the School and in turn will improve the School as a whole. To ensure the School receives applicants with a wide variety of perspectives, applications from people from these groups are encouraged. HCCS is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity and an inclusive workforce.
Preferred Leadership Skills
• Builds collaborative working relationships with staff, parents and community
• Is highly visible and involved in the school and community
• Believes in the charter school model and supports the school’s mission
• Has a background in the classroom and other administrative experiences
• Brings an empowering style to lead the staff to success
• Has experience in curriculum development using data-driven instruction and best practices
• Demonstrates enabling teacher growth and expansion through professional development
• Is committed to serving all students from all backgrounds
• Values and respects the contribution from all staff and treats them as professionals
• Has a belief and demonstrated experience in whole child learning opportunities
• Willing to make difficult decisions when needed and follows through to implementation
• Understands the basic structure of both American and Chinese education systems
About the School
HCCS is the first public Chinese immersion school in the Beaverton School District. The dream for this school first began in 2010, in a Saturday language school. Parents saw their children blossom in the Chinese classes, and realized they wanted something more. The vision for the school was initiated by parents, and quickly gained momentum and high interest from local educators, leaders and community organizations. The school successfully opened its doors in the fall of 2012.
The School serves 340 students in grades K-8 and an additional 30 students in a private preschool, located in Beaverton, Oregon. The staff consists of 27 teachers, 6 educational assistants, one counselor, 7 administrative/support staff and 6 preschool staff. The student teacher ratio is about 16 to 1. Niche.com rates HCCS as the #1 Best Charter Elementary School in Oregon and assigns an overall grade of “A.” Serving a highly diverse student body, the demographic mix is 35% Asian; 1% Black/African American; 7% Hispanic; 32% Multi-racial; and 25% White.
The HCCS Chinese immersion program develops its own spiral performance-based curriculum to build students’ language abilities from performance toward proficiency. It is based on the national standards for foreign language education published by American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). The curriculum incorporates Singapore Math, FOSS (science), English Daily 5 Management System, Wisdom Seekers and Art Literacy.
• Letter of Interest
• Completed Application Form (obtain from Search Consultant)
• Current Resume
• Copy of current teaching license or administrator license
• Letters of Recommendation (at least 3 required)
• List of three-five (3-5) additional references
• Statement explaining how your education philosophy fits with the HCCS commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion (max. 2 pages)
How to Submit an Application
For additional information or application materials:
(1) visit the School’s website; or
(2) contact the Search Consultant.
Submit all application materials electronically as Word or PDF documents by e-mail attachment to the Search Consultant by 5:00 pm on the deadline date.
Greg McKenzie, Search Consultant
1470 Rosemont Road
West Linn, Oregon 97068
Phone: 503-752-2438; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
HCCS adheres to a policy of racial nondiscrimination in the admission of students. It admits students of any race, color, national and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at HCCS. The school does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in the administration of its student admissions policies, employment policies, educational policies, grant and scholarship programs and athletic and other school administered programs.