High School World Language (Spanish) Teacher
Start date: As soon as possible
LOCATION: Riverdale High School
CHARACTERISTICS: Licensed Salaried Employee
REPORTS TO: Building Principal
FTE: .80 to 1.0 (192 days in a full contract year)
STARTING SALARY: $44,033 - $90,269.00 DOE (salary will be prorated based on FTE and actual days worked)
BENEFITS: Medical, Dental, Vision insurance pursuant to the licensed collective bargaining agreement
Riverdale School District Vision
• Students learn to use their minds well, engage creatively and act compassionately.
The Riverdale Mission
• Riverdale develops inquisitive, imaginative, and eager learners. Our students demonstrate academic mastery through exhibition to become effective communicators and responsible leaders.
Join us in this mission as the Riverdale High School World Language Teacher
The teacher promotes and develops successful learning for students in grades 9-12 World Language classes. The teacher performs instructional and related duties as they pertain to the state and district standards in World Language education, and in accordance with District policies and the terms of the teacher contract.
Riverdale High School offers an intimate approach focused on individualized, college preparatory education and complemented by a wide range of co-curricular activities. Honors coursework is available for all core classes and students perform 90 hours of community service and complete an intensive capstone project.
REQUIRED Qualifications, licenses, skills & experience:
1. Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred (transcripts required)
2. Oregon TSPC License required with appropriate endorsement for high school World Language (Spanish) instruction
3. Outstanding oral and written communication skills which are effective across a wide variety of audiences, including students, parents, and staff
4. Demonstrated knowledge of legal and ethical rights and responsibilities
5. Valid driver’s license
PREFERRED skills & experience:
1. Previous successful language teaching experience
2. Valid First Aid and CPR-AED cards
The Riverdale School District strives to create an inclusive and racially affirming environment that welcomes and values the diversity of our staff and students. Riverdale School District believes that having a diverse faculty and staff reflective of the demographics of the community, country, and world, provides significant value to students of color and all students and adults and will commit to putting practices in place that will lead to a more diverse workforce.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in the list above. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be the one who comes from a less traditional background. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our qualifications described. If you are unsure whether you meet the qualifications of this position, or how this would be determined, please feel free to contact Human Resources: Tammie Wing (503.262.4840 or email@example.com) to discuss your application.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to perform the following essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations:
1. Develop and implement activities that encourage students to be lifelong learners
2. Meet and instruct assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated
3. Plan a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of the students with special attention given to TAG, special education, ESL, and other students, who require specialized modified programs of study.
4. Deliver classroom curriculum that adheres to State Standards and School Board policy
5. Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the developmental maturity and interests of the students
6. Prepare for classes assigned and show written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor
7. Encourage students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior
8. Guide the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals; in harmony with the goals, establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects and communicate those objectives to students
9. Employ a variety of instructional techniques and media consistent to meet the needs and capabilities of individual or student groups
10. Strive to implement, by instruction and action, the District’s philosophy of education, instructional goals, and other objectives
11. Assess students on a regular basis and provide progress reports as required
12. Seek the assistance of District specialists as appropriate for referrals related to exceptional education services, such as special education, gifted and talented education, ESL, and other programs
13. Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities
14. Maintain accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, District policy, and administrative regulation
15. Assist administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct
16. Develop reasonable rules of classroom behavior and maintain order in the classroom; classroom rules shall be consistent with School Board and building policies
17. Plan and supervise the job performance of educational assistants in cooperation with the administration
18. Work with classroom volunteers to provide enhanced learning opportunities for students
19. Attend staff meetings and serve on staff committees as requested or needed
20. Supervise students both in and out of the classroom
21. Maintain professional competence through participation in District provided in-service activities and/or self-selected professional growth activities related to job responsibilities
22. Perform other duties as assigned within contractual parameters
23. Adheres to all provisions of the negotiated Certified Contract
NOTE: This is not necessarily an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, functions, or working conditions associated with the job. This job description is not a contract of employment or a promise or guarantee of any specific terms or conditions of employment. The school district may add to, modify, or delete any aspect of this (or the position itself) at any time as it deems advisable.
GENERAL RIVERDALE SCHOOL DISTRICT PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS
• Perform duties in a courteous and efficient manner that builds the confidence of staff, students, and the public in the Riverdale School District and enhances learning
• Work with and respond effectively to people from diverse cultural backgrounds
• Maintain professionalism and confidentiality of district transactions and all matters related to the privacy of students, staff, and parents.
• Observe laws, district policies, and procedures, and professional standards for the position.
• Maintain regular attendance at work and work activities and demonstrate punctuality in meeting deadlines, attending meetings, and following schedule.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with school personnel, parents, students, and the public; work collaboratively as a team member.
• Carry out work responsibilities effectively under the pressure of deadlines, occasionally in difficult or emergency situations, utilizing strong organizational skills
• Demonstrate initiative and judgment in the accomplishment of work tasks
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Riverdale School District recognizes the diversity and worth of all individuals and groups. It is the policy of the Riverdale School District that there will be no discrimination or harassment of individuals or groups based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, marital status, age, veterans status, genetic information or disability in any educational programs, activities, or employment.
Reasonable accommodations for the application and interview process will be provided upon request and as required in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Individuals with disabilities may contact Tammie Wing (503.262.4840 or firstname.lastname@example.org) for additional information or assistance. Speech/Hearing impaired persons may contact the district for assistance through the Oregon Telecommunications Relay Service at 1-800-735-2900.
To apply for this position, please go to https://riverdale.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx.