Morrow County School District (OR)
Invites applications for the position of
Location: Heppner, Oregon
Enrollment: 2,200 students
Base Salary: $145,000 to $165,000 annually + benefits
Closing Date: Feb. 16, 2022
Start Date: July 1, 2022
The Morrow County School District Board of Directors is seeking a highly qualified candidate with visionary leadership skills and successful experience in education administration to serve as Superintendent beginning July 1, 2022. The successful candidate must have experience as an administrator, excellent communication skills, unquestionable integrity and be willing to be involved in the community. The Board will offer a competitive compensation package with an annual salary range of $145,000 to $165,000 plus benefits.
About the Position
The successful candidate must hold or qualify for an Oregon superintendent's license and provide proof of compliance with OAR 333-019-1030 (COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements for Teachers and School Staff).
The successful candidate will also have the following personal and professional qualities:
• Effective communication and listening skills
• Background in teaching and building administration, preferably in small rural areas similar to Morrow County; instructional leader
• High degree of integrity/honesty with strong core values; culturally competent; respectful of all groups
• Puts KIDS first; is committed to serving all kids
• Proven ability to make tough decisions when necessary and effectively communicate the reasons (transparency)
• Ability to build and sustain strong, effective family/community partnerships that impact student success
• Is personable/approachable while keeping an open mind; good sense of humor
• Works well with others; strong collaborator that empowers students, staff, parents and community members; inspirational motivator
• Highly visible in our community and schools.
• Understands Oregon school finance, demonstrates sound fiscal management and strong budgeting skills
• Innovative visionary
About the District
The Morrow County School District serves about 2,200 students in nine schools. One K-3 elementary school, one 4-6 elementary school and one 7-12 middle/high school in Boardman. One K-3 elementary school, one 4-6 elementary school, one 7-12 middle/high school and one alternative school in Irrigon, One K-6 elementary school, and one 7-12 middle/high school in Heppner. The District employs a staff of 149 licensed employees, 127 classified employees, six confidential employees, and 16 administrators. The District has a general fund budget of approximately $79.5 million. The School District includes the communities of Boardman, Irrigon and Heppner. Covering 2,000 square miles, the District has two central offices, one located in Irrigon and one located in Heppner.
About the Community
The city of Heppner is almost equal distance from Portland, Boise, Spokane and Seattle. Recreation opportunities in the Heppner vicinity are varied and abundant, thanks to cooperative weather. Heppner’s location in the Blue Mountains’ foothills, amid acres of agricultural land surrounded by back roads and intersecting streams, invites horseback riding; hiking; dirt bike and ATV riding. Other popular recreation includes bicycling around town or on the many roads to other Eastern Oregon locations. Some enjoy motorcycling, fishing, water skiing, jet skiing, walking, jogging, or running around town and in organized events. The mountains offer great huckleberry and mushroom hunting. Winter offers snowmobiling, some ice-skating and ice fishing. In other words – Heppner/Morrow County is the place for “all seasons.”
• Completed Application form
• Current resume
• Cover letter of interest
• 3-5 current letters of reference
• Copy of administrator license or proof of eligibility to obtain one
• A statement about how you meet the qualities and qualifications set by the Board (in narrative form, no longer than 500 words)
How to Submit an Application
Application packets are submitted to Oregon School Boards Association – Executive Search (www.osba.org/execjobs) via the Revelus application portal (see the link below). All applicants will submit a candidate profile (completed when you create your Revelus account) and a completed application, as well as upload the other application material documents to the application portal. The application packet must be submitted by 5pm on the closing day.
OSBA Revelus application portal: https://oregonschoolboards.myrevelus.com/
Regarding the position, contact:
Milt Dennison, Search Consultant, email@example.com; 503.334.6536
Regarding the application process, contact:
Sarah Herb, Executive Search and Events Specialist (OSBA); firstname.lastname@example.org; 503.400.3047 (direct); 800.578.6722 (office); 503.588.2813 (Fax)
Morrow County School District is an equal opportunity employer.