Scappoose School District seeks to hire a dynamic, experienced, and caring band director who wishes to engage 7th - 12th grade students in high quality music education experiences. We value teachers who can build positive relationships with students, staff, and families and also serve as effective members of our professional learning community. Located just 20 minutes from downtown Portland, Scappoose School District is a place where you can get to know everyone personally and make a difference in the life of each student.
The position includes the following scheduled courses in 2021-22:
Scappoose Middle School:
• Band I, Band II (Includes one winter and one spring Band Concert)
Scappoose High School:
• Concert Band
• Wind Ensemble
• Jazz Band
• Concerts 3x per year
• Pep bands
• No marching band, currently
• Competitions in spring (has hosted for regionals in the past)
• Opportunities to serve as an instrumental music director for musical theatre productions on an extra duty contract.
This position provides an environment which is safe and conducive to learning while providing instrumental education services to a diverse population of students in a classroom setting. Instruct students, maintain student discipline and is responsible for student academic achievement.
Position responsibilities include:
• To assist students in the acquisition of skills and knowledge necessary to develop individual and group performance skills and an understanding of music.
• Design or select and use planned sequences of instruction so that students acquire skills in instrumental techniques and music reading.
• Present performances of high musical quality for the school and community in which groups are well-disciplined and make a good appearance.
• Conduct rehearsals and performances – demonstrating understanding of differences in style among various types of music.
• Ensure that music and equipment are properly used, maintained and stored and that inventory records are accurate and current.
• Plan and present interesting and well-paced lessons using a variety of instructional techniques and materials appropriate to the lesson.
• Functional knowledge of sound and stage equipment and related technology.
• Ability to perform and demonstrate winds, reeds, percussion instruments at assigned levels, with expertise in at least one instrument. Note: Basic keyboard skills are the minimum expectation for a successful applicant.
• Conduct music accurately and expressively with self-confidence.
• Teach students to perform with proper posture, intonation, rhythm, intonation, and harmony.
• Ability to teach comprehensive musicianship through performance, music history, music theory, notation, basic composition, electronic music, and solo, chamber, and concert ensembles.
• Knowledge of best instructional and assessment practices in teaching instrumental music to secondary students.
• Willingness to be a collaborative member of the music department, which includes elementary music for grades K-5 and middle and high school choirs.
Final salary to be determined based on outcome of contract negotiations. Salary listed is for the 2021-2022 school year.
Scappoose School District is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Veterans must submit DD Form 214 or 215 to establish veterans’ preference eligibility. See policy GBA-AR for details.
Note: As of October 18, 2021, all school employees must provide evidence of vaccination against COVID-19. See https://sharedsystems.dhsoha.state.or.us/DHSForms/Served/le3874.pdf for details. All employees are currently required to wear face masks.
Please call 971-200-8000 or e-mail email@example.com if you have any questions or need assistance.
** This position is open until filled. Posting start date: February 16, 2022. Priority is given to internal applicants for the first 5 days of posting. **