Scappoose School District seeks a caring and experienced middle school social studies teacher to provide high quality instruction for our students at Scappoose Middle School for the 2022-2023 school year. We value teachers who can build positive relationships with students, staff, and families and also serve as effective members of our professional learning community. Located just 20 minutes from downtown Portland, Scappoose School District is a place where you can get to know everyone personally and make a difference in the life of each student.
This position provides an environment which is safe and conducive to learning while providing Social Studies/Social Science education services to a diverse population of students in a classroom setting. Instruct students, maintain student discipline and is responsible for student academic achievement.
Assist students in the acquisition of skills and knowledge necessary to achieve the State Benchmark Standards in the social science areas of World History, Civics, Geography, Economics, and Social Science Analysis.
Understand the instructional and assessment requirements necessary to assist students in reaching the content and performance standards in Social Studies/Humanities as established by Oregon’s ESSA plan.
- Maintain appropriate certifications and training hours as required.
- Comply with applicable District, State, local and Federal laws, rules and regulations.
- Follow and maintain knowledge of District policies and procedures.
- Follow all current State and Federal laws and Administrative Rules pertaining to public school teachers.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Attend work regularly and is punctual as defined by District policy and regulations.
(Essential duties of this position include the following. Employees in this position perform some or all of the following tasks. Other duties may be assigned.)
- Establish and maintain a classroom management that is conducive to learning.
- Grade papers, assignments and assessments promptly and accurately.
- Complete required paperwork in specified time and manner.
- Plan a program of study that meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of students.
- Assist students with tracking assignments and managing behaviors.
- Design and implement appropriate instruction of subject assigned in accordance with students, District adopted curriculum and goals and State Standards.
- Utilize a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
- Use and maintain student records on a regular basis and as required by law and by District policy.
- Take all responsible precautions to provide for the health and safety of the students and to protect equipment, materials and facilities
- Work to establish and maintain open lines of communication with students and their parents concerning both the broad academic and behavioral progress of their students.
- Facilitate conferences with students, parents and other staff members.
- Work to establish and maintain open lines of communication with the administration, other staff members and District patrons.
- Cooperate with other members of the staff in planning instructional goals, objectives, curriculum and instructional methods.
- Assist in determining and evaluating educational goals consistent with District philosophy and strives to implement those goals by instruction and action.
- Assist the administration in implementing policies and rules governing student activities and conduct.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
(Additional duties of this position include the following. Employees in this position perform some or all of the following tasks. Other duties may be assigned.)
- Attend in-service trainings and staff meetings.
- Substitute for other teachers, as necessary.
- Assist in the selection of books, equipment and other instructional materials.
May supervise and direct the work of Educational Assistants and/or Teacher Aides. All school employees have some responsibility for supervising students and assisting in maintaining a safe environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education: Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) or equivalent from four-year college or university or at least one year related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s degree (M.A.) or equivalent strongly preferred. Must be Highly Qualified under the reauthorized ESSA. Prior successful experience teaching adolescent students in a school or social studies classroom setting strongly preferred.
Certificates: Certificates as determined by the District including meeting current Highly Qualified requirements under the reauthorized ESSA. Must have valid teacher’s license and subject specific endorsement(s) through the Teachers Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC).
Scappoose School District is committed to creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Veterans must submit DD Form 214 or 215 to establish veterans’ preference eligibility. See policy GBA-AR for details.
Note: As of October 18, 2021, all school employees must provide evidence of vaccination against COVID-19. See https://sharedsystems.dhsoha.state.or.us/DHSForms/Served/le3874.pdf for details.
Please call 971-200-8000 or e-mail email@example.com if you have any questions or need assistance.
Final salary to be determined based on outcome of contract negotiations. Salary listed is for the 2021-2022 school year: $41,112 - 79,956
Apply on TalentEd: https://scappoose.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=1529. Include a resume, cover letter, three letters of recommendation (including one from your current or most recent supervisor), unofficial transcripts (official will be required, if hired), and license verification.
** This position is open until filled. Posting start date: March 8, 2022. Priority is given to internal applicants for the first 5 days of posting. **