This is a full-time, 12-month position beginning July 1, 2023.
The high school principal serves as the instructional leader and chief administrator of the high school. The principal is responsible for implementing and adhering to all federal, state and district policies, regulations and procedures. Areas of responsibility include directing and administering all educational programs and activities, student supports, planning, curriculum development, program evaluation, student activities, personnel management, financial management, emergency procedures, resource scheduling, facilities operations, school climate and community relations for the building.
• Achieve academic excellence and close opportunity and achievement gaps for students.
• Lead, encourage and support all members of the school staff.
• Communicate effectively and foster collaboration with all stakeholder groups, including students, families, staff members and members of the community.
• Establish and promote high standards and expectations for all students and staff.
• Maintain a safe and welcoming school climate and culture.
This position requires demonstrated expertise in educational programs, curriculum, pedagogy, professional development, and culturally sustaining instructional strategies. This position also requires directly related administrative experience to ensure success in a high school leadership role. This administrative experience includes the ability to lead collaboratively, support and promote diversity, foster a student-centered approach leading to student engagement and success, and the ability to create and maintain an emotionally healthy and physically safe school culture. This position has supervisory responsibilities for planning, assigning, supporting, and evaluating the work of licensed and classified employees. This position requires strong communication and relationship building skills with both internal and external stakeholders.
• Serves as the instructional leader and demonstrates collaborative leadership skills, capable of making tough decisions and leading a cohesive team.
• Plans, designs, and conducts follow-through strategies for teaching and learning designed to meet the differentiated and individualized needs of students and the educational community.
• Leads inclusive decision-making process to ensure the development of a comprehensive school improvement plan with annual student achievement targets, supported by parents, staff, and community members.
• Oversees the school's performance evaluation systems to ensure that site goals and objectives are achieved, and that all staff adheres to district, state and federal standards and goals.
• Establishes the master schedule for instructional programs, ensuring rigorous and articulated learning experiences aligned to state standards and required instructional hours.
• Supervises the evaluation of all building staff, coordinates all staff development activities, and ensures professional development and support for all staff.
• Ensures that the instructional programs engage the learner in tasks that require analytical and critical thinking, problem solving and creativity, address the range of skills and developmental needs found in the classroom, encourage the student to define individual goals and accept responsibility for learning, and that they provide a variety of methods for the student to demonstrate performance and achievement.
• Serves as a role model for students, dressing professionally, demonstrating the importance and relevance of learning, accepting responsibility, and demonstrating pride in the educational profession.
• Uses data to guide data teams to identify and monitor student needs and growth, and collects and analyzes data to inform practice, develop new programs and make improvements to existing programs.
• Plans, develops, organizes, and administers support systems which provide optimal educational opportunities for adolescent age students. Oversees a multi-tiered system of supports to meet individual student needs.
• Empowers students, staff and parents to articulate and implement their goals and ideas.
• Develops, implements and oversees budget planning and financial procedures in accordance with all laws, regulations, and policies.
• Manages a safe and well-maintained facility, identifying needs and recommending additions, modifications, and services.
• Manages, supervises, observes, and conducts staff professional development and staff training programs that encourage and grow leadership.
• Confers with site and district staff in decision-making processes, and in the development of alternative approaches to addressing concerns and issues.
• Assists in the development, implementation, interpretation, and administration of policies, rules and regulations, and negotiated employee agreements. Ensures compliance with all laws, administrative codes, board policies and regulations.
• Establishes and maintains procedures for the resolution of conflict in an effort to maintain a high level of staff morale.
• Responsible for managing, monitoring, auditing, and evaluation of school finances and specially funded programs.
• Plans, develops, and provides, as required, management reports pertaining to the educational climate and the functions and activities of the school.
• Performs other related duties as assigned
The District strives to expand representation at all levels of its workforce and to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace reflective of our student population. Studies have shown that minoritized individuals often disqualify themselves from opportunities because they do not exactly fit all of the requirements. We strongly encourage individuals of the BIPOC community (culturally and linguistically diverse), LGBTQ, disabled, women and veterans to apply despite hesitation over qualifications. Eugene 4J is looking for individuals who are willing to grow and be dedicated to ensuring that every student is connected to community and empowered to succeed.
• Masters Degree in Education or related field and a valid Oregon TSPC Principal License (or the ability to immediately obtain a license by the date of hire).
• Hold a valid driver's license with no serious violations.
• Have a minimum of seven (7) years experience in teaching and working with adults or adolescents.
• Have at least two (2) years excellent administrative experience as a Principal, Assistant Principal, or Central Office Administrator. Administrative experience should include a record of effective educational leadership, demonstrated commitment to a positive learning environment, excellent communication skills, and a strong commitment to educational equity.
• Bilingual proficiency and/or multicultural experience strongly preferred.
To learn more or to apply, visit our website at: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/laneedu/