Oregon Department of Education
Assistant Superintendent of Enhancing Student Opportunities
Classification: Education Programs Administrator 3
Monthly Salary - $10,513-$16,300 ($11,243-$17,433 PERS member monthly salary)
Application Deadline: Open until filled
View job posting and instructions at: https://bit.ly/ODE_OESO_Supt
Open until filled: This recruitment will remain open until filled. Our first application screening is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. on August 21, 2023. We cannot guarantee that we will consider applications received after the first screening date. We encourage interested applicants not to delay in applying.
We are seeking an Assistant Superintendent to lead our Office of Enhancing Student Opportunities (OESO) at the Oregon Department of Education. This position is a critical part of our Executive Team and is classified as an executive service position.
This role is a hybrid position, combining remote work with the need to report to the office or work in person to meet business or operational needs. This position may occasionally be required to work in person, either in Salem or in locations throughout the state (e.g., school districts, education service districts).
The Oregon Department of Education’s (ODE’s) mission is to foster equity and excellence for every learner through collaboration with educators, partners, and communities. In fulfilling its mission, ODE has the vision to ensure all students have access to and benefit from a world-class, well–rounded, and equitable education system.
The Office of Enhancing Student Opportunities (OESO) has a team of over 140 employees dedicated to supporting various educational facilities, such as schools, school districts, Education Service Districts, Long Term Care and Treatment Centers, Youth Corrections, and Juvenile Detention Education Programs. Their primary focus is on providing educational and technical assistance services, with a special emphasis on improving special education programs. OESO also manages our Oregon School for the Deaf.
OESO seeks to build a culture of care and connection, one where people can help us make significant and important improvements in special education for the state of Oregon, while bringing their full, complicated human selves to the position.
What you will do:
As our Assistant Superintendent of the Office of Enhancing Student Opportunities (OESO), you are in charge of overseeing all activities within the office. Your responsibilities include managing state and federal education programs, implementing budget allocations, and conducting policy analysis. Additionally, you play a crucial role in developing and implementing special education initiatives.
You ensure that all students, especially those with disabilities and with other special needs, benefit from school reform and other educational innovation programs; promote the graduation of all students with disabilities and the successful transition to adult life that includes independent living and integrated employment; and reduce the numbers of students with disabilities leaving school before successfully completing a course of study or graduation.
This is a highly visible, politically sensitive position that requires a great deal of energy and commitment to supporting and improving equitable services in Oregon public schools. Join us in this role where you’ll champion equity and inclusion within school districts, directly improving outcomes for students. Transform lives, bring positive change, and experience incredible fulfillment along the way!
Nine years of management experience in Education or a related field; OR six years of related experience and a bachelor's degree in Education or a related field.
• Executive-level administrative experience in an education setting, preferably a school district, education service district or state education agency.
• Master’s Degree or higher in education, administration, leadership or closely related field preferred.
• Deep knowledge of special education laws, rules and regulations.
• Demonstrate a strong commitment to equity and the ability to apply knowledge and skills to interrupt systemic oppression, particularly at the intersection of race and disability.
• Excellent communication skills to convey ideas clearly both verbally and in writing, including the ability to speak confidently before large audiences, explain complex topics to diverse groups, the ability and discretion to handle sensitive situations and the ability to make difficult, controversial decisions.
• Strong leadership abilities to guide and facilitate diverse groups with differing opinions, requiring expertise in group dynamics, problem-solving, negotiation, and conflict resolution.
• Ability to analyze and evaluate public policy, offering recommendations for action, relying on strong analytical skills and a deep understanding of educational policy.
• Proven track record of leadership and direction that develops, empowers and supports employees. This includes creating and reinforcing an inclusive and welcoming workplace culture, engaging staff voices to evaluate the needs of the workforce, providing professional development opportunities and developing a robust succession plan in a manner that is culturally agile and responsive to agency and community needs.
• Skilled at building relationships with partner groups (internal and external) to understand challenges, develop innovative solutions and achieve equitable outcomes for all children and families across the state. This includes using an equity lens to inform community engagement, decisions and policymaking.
• Ability to use sound business practices and budget management, uphold integrity in operational practices, develop and meet short- and long-term goals, and assess and articulate our agency’s business needs to meet our education mission and vision.
• Preferred bilingual skills, inclusive of American Sign Language (ASL)
We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don't meet every one of our qualifications listed.
Monthly Salary - $10,513-$16,300 ($11,243-$17,433 PERS member)
The Education Programs Administrator is a salary range 42x. Starting pay will be determined following Oregon’s Pay Equity law. Your application materials will be used to determine salary based on a pay equity assessment. For further information, please visit the Pay Equity Project homepage.
Our generous benefits package includes:
• Excellent medical, vision and dental benefit package for the employee and qualified family members with very low monthly out-of-pocket cost.
• Paid days off –
o 11 paid holidays per year
o 3 additional paid "Personal Business Days" per year
o 8 hours of sick leave accumulated every month
o Progressive vacation leave accrual with increases every 5 years
• In addition to standard medical benefits and employee leave, the state also provides additional optional benefits, such as basic life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, deferred compensation savings program, and flexible spending accounts for health care and child care expenses.
• Student Loan Forgiveness Program: if you have federal student loan debt or are thinking of going back to school, then you will want to look into this program. If you make 120 qualifying payments on your student loan while working full time for a qualifying employer, your student loan debt may be forgiven.
• If you currently work at an Oregon school district or education service district, we may be able to transfer in your sick leave balance!
If you have a desire to make a difference in the lives of Oregonians, apply today!
The Department of Education is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to a diverse workforce. The Department strives to create an inclusive environment that welcomes and values the diversity of the people we serve. We foster fairness, equity, and inclusion to create a workplace environment where everyone is treated with respect and dignity. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don't meet every one of our qualifications listed. If you are unsure whether you meet the qualifications of this position, please feel free to contact us to discuss your application.