Centennial School District is hiring Special Education Assistants! Become a member of the Centennial School District team! We offer competitive salaries and great benefits for entry level opportunities. For more detailed information on the available positions we have open, please visit our website, www.csd28j.org. To apply, see bottom of page for application instructions.
JOB PURPOSE STATEMENT(S): To assist a certificated teacher in the planning and implementation of instructional programs for students. Employees in this job group perform paraprofessional duties in settings where special instructional programs and teaching techniques are used to address moderate to severe learning and physical disabilities; special social/behavioral, cultural, and language needs; or instruction in academic, technical, vocational, or talented and gifted programs. This can be accomplished through one-on-one and small group instruction and tutoring; and can include assistance in the testing of students and performing a variety of clerical duties in support of these programs. Some positions require aptitude and skill in working with the particular disability or learning needs of the students.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Principles, practices and techniques of instruction related to area of assignment.
• Able to lift more than 30 lbs.
• Proper care techniques in working with students with multiple disabilities.
• Knowledge of working with special needs populations desired.
• Techniques and methods of student supervision and classroom management, in setting involving moderate to severe learning and physical disabilities and social/behavioral problems.
• English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
• Deliver instructional programs to students who have moderate to severe learning and physical disabilities and/or social/behavioral problems.
• Work with students who may exhibit aggressive assault behavior, as required of specific job assignment.
• Understand and appropriately interpret IEP's; and work independently in the absence of direct teacher contact; to carry out the goals and objectives of an IEP.
• Work with students who may require attention to basic feeding and personal hygiene needs, as required of specific job.
• Assist, as requested, in communication between students, teachers and parents.
• Conduct student testing using prescribed test batteries upon receiving necessary training; correct tests and record scores; and inform teacher of any unusual academic or disciplinary problems.
• Help students develop positive interpersonal relationships with peers and adults.
• Promote safety of the students by helping them develop self-confidence.
• Interpret and implement a behavior management program; train and assist students in behavior management.
• Provide education regarding appropriate interpersonal actions; respond to discipline problems; act as a role model.
• Prior experience working with students of different disabilities preferred.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Second language preferred.
Must meet one of the following options:
• Completed two years of college,
• Hold a two-year degree,
• Hold a state or local "No Child Left Behind" certification.
Submit to Human Resources:
• Letter of Interest (stating which position you are applying for)
• Current Resume
• **Support Staff Application (if not already on file)
• **Supplemental Background Questionnaire (if not already on file)
Application materials can be submitted by either mailing or dropping off the documents to (electronic copies are not accepted and this includes email copies as well):
Centennial School District
Attn: Human Resources
18135 SE Brooklyn St
Portland, OR 97236
** Support Staff Application and Supplemental Background Questionnaire can be downloaded from our website, www.csd28j.org (Departments | Human Resources | Job Openings | Support Staff (Classified))
Centennial School District is an equal opportunity employer.