Eugene School District 4J is accepting applications for middle school assistant principals for the purpose of establishing an on-going pool of candidates. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible to ensure you do not miss potential early vacancies. Qualified candidates will be contacted by 4J Human Resources for interviews/screening. Applications are for vacancies for the 2022/23 school year.
The Middle School Assistant Principal assists the building principal in organizing and fostering a positive, safe environment that is conducive to best meeting the needs of all students, staff and parents. This includes such responsibilities as: leading, directing, counseling, and supervising a variety of personnel and programs; creating effective parent, teacher, and child communications; supporting, encouraging, mentoring, and evaluating staff; fostering teamwork between teachers and among staff and parents; and managing budget items. The assistant principal acts in the capacity of the principal during the principal's absence from the school.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Strong decision-making, analytical and organizational skills.
• Advanced skill in dealing with students and staff with diverse needs at various levels.
• Knowledge of varied instructional strategies, how to support the needs of diverse learners, delivery methods, assessment, and staff development techniques for improvement of instruction.
• Intermediate to advanced knowledge of, and ability to, develop, monitor and evaluate curriculum, discipline plans and supervision/safety plans.
• Knowledge of understanding of adolescent physical, emotional, and intellectual development.
• Knowledge of effective behavior management techniques such as Positive Behavior Support (PBS).
• Ability to promote and follow Board and Administrative policies, and building and department procedures.
• Ability to communicate, interact and work effectively and cooperatively with all people, including those from diverse ethnic and educational backgrounds. Ability to contribute to cultural diversity for educational enrichment.
• Ability to recognize the importance of safety in the workplace, follow safety rules, practice safe work habits, utilize appropriate safety equipment and report unsafe conditions to the appropriate administrator.
• Excellent interpersonal relations and oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from parents, administrators, community stakeholders, etc.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
• Knowledge of curriculum design, planning, development, implementation and evaluation, assessment processes and how they should operate in an effective school.
• Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with students, school personnel, parents, vendors, peers and other stakeholders.
• Ability to use tact, patience and courtesy when dealing with others.
• Experience differentiating practices for diverse populations.
• Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with diverse students, staff and community populations.
• Qualify for a Standard First Aid and CPR certificate.
• Bachelor's degree in Education or related field from an accredited college or university; Master's Degree desirable.
• Possess an Oregon administrator license.
• Minimum of five (5) years successful teaching experience, plus 3 years related administrative experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in supervision and administration preferred.
• Excellent human relations skills, speaking and writing skills.
• Knowledgeable of current public school laws.
• Successful experience working with secondary students.
• Previous experience working effectively with culturally and linguistically diverse groups.
• Training and/or experience in group facilitation and process management.
• Bilingual proficiency and/or multicultural experience strongly preferred.
All qualified and interested candidates must apply using our online application system. To learn more or to apply, visit our website: