Phoenix-Talent Schools is seeking applications for the position of:
Individuals wishing to apply for this position should submit a completed application and resume by going to https://phoenixtalent.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx . If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Human Resources at 541/535-1517.
POSTING DATE: November 20, 2018 CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
REPORTS TO: District Accounting Director
SALARY and BENEFITS: Starts at $36,572, depending on experience. Family medical insurance, PERS retirement contributions.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The Accounting Specialist is responsible for various accounting duties related to accounts payable and accounts receivable; the maintenance and reconciliation of general ledger balance sheet accounts; assists with the District’s annual financial audit; prepares miscellaneous financial reports as requested by the District Accounting Director or Assistant Superintendent; and performs clerical duties for district office staff.
1. College degree in Accounting or Business Administration and three years of experience in general accounting or equivalent combination of education, experience and/or training.
2. Understanding of principles and practices required to maintain a computerized accounting system, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledgers, subsidiary ledger, audit procedures, financial statement, cash flow analysis, and budget preparation.
3. Rapid and accurate operation of ten-key calculators and computer keyboards to perform calculations or input and retrieve information.
4. Technical and practical knowledge of Excel software to supplement accounting software and to prepare supplementary financial spreadsheets.
5. Application of technical accounting terminology, principles, and practices to the maintenance of a computerized accounting program.
6. Ability to learn and interpret school district budget and accounting procedures and reports, and state accounting and budgeting requirements.
7. Maintain accurate accounting records.
8. Understand and execute oral and written instructions and apply available guidelines to varied situations.
9. Ability to work independently without direct supervision.
10. Operate standard office machines.
11. Make accurate mathematical calculations.
12. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, district personnel and non-district personnel.
13. Physical demands needed: ability to communicate with students, co-workers, and the public; ability to communicate over the telephone; ability to respond to telephone, bells, students, co-workers, etc.; ability to respond to workplace disturbances, visual cues, requests, etc.; ability to read written materials; ability to operate office equipment; ability to carry or lift light loads (25 lbs.).
1. Bilingual in English and Spanish highly preferred.
2. Experience working in a school district setting.
1. Maintain an effective purchasing encumbrance system.
2. Process all purchase orders and invoices for payment in an expeditious manner.
3. Reconcile all vendor statements.
4. Maintain all accounts payable files and associated financial records.
5. Provide timely and accurate information indicating budget discrepancies to the District Accounting Director, Assistant Superintendent and/or Superintendent.
6. Serve as Payroll Specialist when required.
7. Communicate directly with school secretaries and staff on approved methods for processing purchase orders and other requests.
8. Assist Payroll Specialist, District Accounting Director in preparing confidential data.
9. Process all travel requests and verify travel expenses in accordance with accepted auditing practices and Board policy.
10. Maintain contracts and maintenance agreements on District equipment.
11. Perform other duties as assigned.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: This is a Confidential twelve month (261 days per year) position beginning as soon as possible. Salary and benefits to be established in accordance with the negotiated Confidential salary schedule.
All applicants will be considered carefully. Those candidates selected for interviews will be notified shortly after the closing date. Applicants are asked not to call for interviews. All applicants will be notified when the position is filled.
Phoenix-Talent School District #4 is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in accordance with Federal and State Legislation, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, age, disability, or familial status in employment practices or education programs. If you need special accommodations because of a disability, please contact the personnel office at 535-1517 Voice/TDD.
Any offer of employment made by Phoenix-Talent Schools is contingent upon satisfactory results of:
1. Drug screening tests for any illegal drug or substance classified in Schedules I through V under the Federal Controlled Substances Act, 21 U.S.C. 811 to 812. This includes, but is not limited to, marijuana, mind-altering substances or narcotic drugs such as hallucinogens, amphetamines, barbiturates, or any other illegal drug or controlled substance, except those federally recognized as legally prescribed by a physician and used as directed.
2. Criminal history verification- a background check for any convictions directly related to the duties and responsibilities of the position. Unless otherwise required by law, only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the applicant from employment.