Position Title: JR/SR High Special Education Instructional Assistant
Location: Jr/Sr High School
Reports To: Principal
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Salary: Classified Salary Schedule
Contract Days: 184
This position carries out program activities as planned and scheduled by licensed personnel and provides instruction to individual and small groups as directed by the licensed staff. This position monitors student safety and behavior in various settings
QUALIFICATIONS: Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required:
• Experience working with children
• Ability to work as a part of a team and able to function independently
• Knowledge of Child Development
• Professional, Flexible, Organized
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Performs some or all of the following tasks under the direction of a licensed teacher. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Provides instruction under the direction of licensed teacher.
2. Implements class, school and individual student behavior plans.
3. May assists students with functional skills including toileting, eating, dressing, and mobility.
4. Is trained to perform delegated nursing tasks including catheterization, emergency medication administration.
5. Receives training from specialists (SLP, OT, PT, etc.) to use equipment or to provide follow-up for various therapies.
6. Takes and maintains data as needed and required by licensed teacher.
7. Maintains students' safety and monitors appropriate behavior at recess, in class and during bus loading and unloading.
8. Notes discipline issues and completes proper paperwork for reporting such incidents.
9. Participates in restraint training as required.
10. Maintains confidentiality.
11. Maintain regular and consistent attendance and punctuality
12. Work collaboratively and communicate effectively with staff and customers at all organizational levels.
13. Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
*Coaching and extracurricular stipend positions are also available
Ability to read, analyze and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedural manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively to diverse groups.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts and percentages. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Works well with others. Focuses on solving conflict; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others’ ideas; and contributes to building a positive team spirit.
The physical demands strength rating reflects the estimated overall strength requirements of the job. The strength rating is expressed by one of the five terms: Sedentary, Light, Medium, Heavy and Very Heavy. This position is classified as Medium.
Note: This is not necessarily an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, functions or working conditions associated with the job. This job description is not a contract of employment or a promise or guarantee of any specific terms or conditions of employment. The school district may add to, modify or delete any aspect of this job (or the position itself) at any time, as it deems advisable.
Nestucca Valley School District is an equal opportunity employer and provides services to the public on an equal opportunity basis and does not discriminate in employment or the provision of public services on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief, citizenship or marital status. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities or individuals with limited proficiency in English. Contact the District Office for assistance.
Reasonable accommodations for the application and interview process will be provided upon request and as required in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Individuals with disabilities may contact the Human Resources Specialist at 503-392-3194 for additional information or assistance. Speech/Hearing impaired persons may contact the district for assistance through the Oregon telecommunications Relay Service at 1-800-735-2900.