Camas Valley School District (OR)
Invites applications for the position of
Location: Douglas County, Oregon (near Roseburg)
Enrollment: 215 students
Base Salary: $90,000 to $105,000 plus benefits
Closing Date: March 29, 2019 (but open until filled)
Start Date: July 1, 2019
The Camas Valley School District Board of Directors is seeking an educational leader with an outstanding record of achievement to serve as Superintendent/Principal beginning July 1, 2019. The Board will offer a competitive compensation package to the successful candidate with a base salary range of $90,000 to $105,000 plus benefits.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the following:
• Effective and transparent communication; good listening skills
• High degree of integrity/honesty
• Demonstrated knowledge of and/or charter school experienced preferred
• Background in teaching and building administration at multiple levels; preferably in small rural communities
• Always puts kids first; commitment to serving ALL students
• Is personable/approachable; good sense of humor
• Outstanding budget and finance skills; strong knowledge of federal program requirements and compliance with Oregon law
• Knowledge of the school improvement process and data-driven decision-making skills
• Demonstrated ability to make tough decisions when necessary and effectively communicate the reasons (transparency)
• Ability to build strong, effective community partnerships that impact student success
• Open-minded collaborator, consensus-building, empowering proactive leadership
• Well organized
• Visibility in our school and community
The Camas Valley School District became a charter district in 2004. By focusing on keeping class sizes under 20 students per grade, the District has been able to better serve students and grow the District at the same time. More than half of the students come from outside the District boundaries, and many of the grades have waiting lists from families wishing to have their students be a part of the school. K-12 enrollment has grown in the past 6 years from an average of 160 students to an average enrollment of 215 students. The District runs a pre-school that offers educational opportunities to pre-K students.
Camas Valley is a District with a strong financial base and a general fund budget of $3.9M, along with competitive wage scales. The District has shown strong improvement on state report cards 4 years in a row. The staff of about 33 employees is experienced, committed, and caring. Teacher turnover has averaged less than 10% per year for the past 4 years, further attesting to the quality of the workplace.
Academics and athletics are equally important in the Camas Valley SD. Each Spring the District holds a massive celebration of academic achievement at Awards Night. This is a formal affair that generally brings out over 350 people to celebrate student successes in the classroom. The District also has a rich tradition of success in 8-man football. The volleyball teams and basketball teams frequently go to the playoffs. The school is the center and the heart of the community.
Camas Valley is a rural community nestled in the beautiful coastal mountains of Douglas County. The beauty and outdoor opportunities are limitless. Camas Valley is a community of roughly 1,000 people with a post office, three churches, one convenience market/gas station and one restaurant. Located in Oregon's Coast Range, the community is surrounded by mountains and has the Coquille River running through it. Only an hour away from the scenic Oregon coast and only two hours from Diamond Lake and Crater Lake, two of the most beautiful recreational areas in the world, the community is well-situated for a bounty of recreational opportunities. The county center of Roseburg is only 25 miles away and provides a vast array of commercial, shopping, and medical options.
All applicants will provide the following documents in Microsoft Word or PDF format. For more information or to apply, visit the OSBA website at www.osba.org/execjobs. These materials must be submitted via email to Sarah Herb, OSBA Executive Search Specialist, at email@example.com by 5 p.m. on March 29, 2019.
• Letter of Interest
• Completed Superintendent/Principal Application Form
• Current Resume
• Copy of administrator license
• Statement of Educational Philosophy (1 page)
• Completed Mentor Questionnaire
• Letters of Recommendation (3-5 required)
• Other information demonstrating success in education
For information regarding the position, contact:
Steve Kelley, Director of Board Development and Executive Searches
firstname.lastname@example.org • 503.588.2800 • 800.578.6722
For questions regarding the application process, contact:
Sarah Herb, Executive Search and Events Specialist
email@example.com • 503.588.2800 • 800.578.6722
Camas Valley School District is an equal opportunity employer.