Northwest Youth Corps
Social Studies Teacher Description
Northwest Youth Corps’ (NYC) Twin Rivers Charter School (TRCS) is an accredited alternative high school for youth, ages 14-19, who learn best in an experiential format and who may have had difficulty succeeding in a traditional school environment. TRCS employs a cooperative, team-based format, in which staff engage students in hands-on learning that combines classroom instruction with the completion of conservation projects, field study assignments, and outdoor recreation activities. Students spend equal amounts of time in and out of the classroom and staff will strive to ensure conservation projects are complementary and integrated. School curricula include science, math, language arts and social studies with an emphasis on resource management, conservation and environmental studies. Students earn high school credit toward a diploma.
TRCS offers a unique opportunity for high energy teachers with vision and creativity to develop cutting edge curriculum that integrates classroom and field for teens identified as at-risk. Teachers use the outdoors as an instructional vehicle that leads students to high school completion while also fostering good character and environmental awareness. The program’s highly experiential field format asks staff to plan and implement curriculum in which a week of the classroom lays a foundation for a week of hands-on field study activities and conservation-based work experience. Teachers also plan and facilitate residential “spikes”, camping trip that combine fun, education, community, conservation work, and teambuilding.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Build social studies curriculum and plan lessons to meet program objectives and individual student needs.
- Develop lesson that build student critical thinking and engagement
- Work with other core content teachers to develop interdisciplinary projects
- Teach social studies to students with varied academic levels.
- Teach an elective class, with a career connections emphasis.
- Coordinate, facilitate and participate in student camping activities.
- Provide instruction, assess learning, keep class records, and assign grades.
- Participate in IEP meetings and work with special education teacher ensure compliance with IEP’s.
- Maintain portfolio assessments and records.
- Implement TRCS’s school-wide behavior support system.
- Attend regular staff meetings, staff development opportunities, and organization-wide activities.
- Mentor and advise an assigned cohort of students, and maintain contact with family, case worker, etc.
- Participate in field experiences that include physical labor, trail work, invasive species removal and others.
- Current Oregon secondary teaching license preferred
- Experience teaching high school-aged and/or at-risk youth
- Experience teaching Social Studies
- Experience guiding groups of teaching in the outdoors
- Ability to work with youth in an enthusiastic and encouraging way
- Sense of humor; non-judgmental attitude and willingness to learn from peers
- Outdoor leadership experience
CPR, First Aid, safe driving history, fingerprinting and a criminal background check required.
Term of Employment
195 day contract; August 16, 2019 – June 20, 2020
$36,000-40,000 DOE w/ Oregon certificate; Benefits: health insurance and dental insurance with co-pay, short/long term disability and life insurance, and two retirement plans; employee retirement plan funded by employer contributions, 403-b option funded by employee contributions.
To apply: Submit application and cover letter by e-mail to email@example.com or mail to:
TRCS Social Studies Teacher, Northwest Youth Corps, 2621 Augusta, Eugene, OR 97505. To apply online, visit www.nwyouthcorps.org/ staff positions/administrative staff.
Selected applicants may be requested to provide additional information before an interview is scheduled. Applicants not selected for interviews will not be notified. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
For more information please call (541)349-7511
NYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Your application should include the following information in the order listed. Staple your submission in the top left corner. Please do not use binders or presentation folders.
Application Sheet: Complete application sheet and attach it to your application.
Cover Letter, Resume and References
Certification and Release
I certify that the information provided in this application is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge. I understand that false information, or misrepresentation of facts, may result in rejection of this application or be grounds for immediate dismissal.
All job offers will be contingent upon
- Proof of U.S. citizenship, or proof that you are authorized to work legally in the U.S.
- Criminal background check