Job Title: Director of Special Education
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Executive Director of Student and Family Services, the Director of Special Education will be responsible for the activities of the Special Education Department by providing leadership and supervision to special education administrators, all school principals and other assigned personnel.
Essential Job Functions:
• Provides executive leadership for and directs special education services for all students.
• Directs, coordinates, and facilitates the development and implementation of action plans intended to accomplish specific goals and objectives related to special education.
• Works closely with school and district staff, parents, students and community members to frequently assess the district’s/school’s educational programs and facility needs and develops short and long-term planning strategies for creating an optimal educational program.
• Serves as liaison agent between school and local service agencies as related to special education and student services.
• Directs and monitors special education budgets.
• Promotes the district vision, philosophy and mission.
• Recruits, hires, supervises and evaluates District level special education staff.
• Participates in collaborative planning of effective staff development programs that improve teaching outcomes and student learning.
• Provides staff leadership by engendering enthusiasm, teamwork and collaborative problem-solving.
• Coordinates and facilitates staff meetings for District special education staff.
• Promotes professionalism.
Curriculum and Program Management
• Leads staff to plan, develop, organize and monitor effective, research-based intervention and enrichment programs.
• Assists teachers, psychologists, and the behavior specialist in developing and applying differentiated, developmentally appropriate and rigorous teaching techniques.
• Directs the Medicaid Administrative Claiming process and direct billing of Medicaid–eligible special education services provided by the district.
• Directs and monitors the Individual Education Plan (IEP) and 504 processes.
• Reviews, analyzes and aggregates data from state reporting to determine trends related to disproportionality and develops plans to decrease over representation of students with disabilities by race and ethnicity.
• Coordinates the selection of curriculum for special education students that is aligned with the District's core curriculum.
• Coordinates special education services with private and other agencies and with private schools.
• Supports principals in implementing Special Education programs and services.
• Coordinates and facilitates parent advisory groups and committees related to special education.
• Directs, implements, and coordinates grants as assigned by the Executive Director of Student and Family Services.
• Works with other managers and staff to improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations, programs, and other departments to meet District goals and ensure alignment of programs, services, and operations.
Reporting & Compliance
• Upholds district policies and implements administrative guidelines/procedures.
• Evaluates District and school special education programs and monitors the implementation of special education and compliance with regulations in each location.
• Prepares reports for the Board of Education, ODE and various community groups as needed.
• Directs the implementation of State and Federal legislation related to special education and ensures compliance.
• Coordinates with other Departments to implement and maintain an integrated student data base.
• Distributes pertinent information and materials to be used by administrators, teachers, parents and guidance techniques.
• Maintains a high level of knowledge regarding developing special education issues, changes in the laws and case law, and educational methods of educating students with disabilities.
• Participates in professional organizations in the field of special education.
• Directs other responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director of Student and Family Services.
Qualifications: The Director of Special Education is a strong leader with high ethical standards who focuses on developing extraordinary district and site based special education programs, understands and models cultural competence, and is a highly skilled communicator who creates connections with staff, students, families and community partners.
Experience Required: A minimum of three (3) years’ demonstrated leadership either as a central office administrator or as a PK-12 school-based building administrator combined with proven successful Special Education teaching experience with demonstrated results in improving the academic performance of Special Education students and closing the achievement gap is required.
Experience working in a richly diverse school community and environment; bilingual or multilingual skills are highly desirable; understanding and sensitivity to the needs of cultural and ethnic groups and individuals with disabilities; demonstrated experience in administering Special Education programs in conformity with strategies, budget constraints, and established practices; demonstrated success leading major organizational solutions (with the involvement of diverse internal and external stakeholders) that resulted in reducing disproportionality combined with measurable and sustainable improved student achievement.
Skills, Knowledge and/or Abilities Required:
Skills to: lead and supervise others; organize, plan and initiate projects and programs; build and manage a team, especially in a time of growth and change; identify talent and maximize each person's skills and contributions to team effort; communicate effective both orally and in writing; effectively use Microsoft Office and educational based computer technology/applications designed to communicate, deliver instruction and manage student instructional data; effective interpersonal and human relations skills; excellent problem solving, and consensus building skills; analyze data, problem solve and effectively reduce findings to writing; strong organizational skills with demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex roles and responsibilities;
Knowledge of: Federal, state and local laws and regulations relevant to the task areas described above; principles, goals, objectives, methods and strategies of urban public schools; philosophical, educational, fiscal and legal aspects of public education; procedures, methods, techniques and strategies related to the administration and operation of K-12 school district; report writing methods and techniques Special Education services trends, strategies and techniques; program and activity evaluation strategies and procedures; methods, procedures and strategies of instructional leadership; Special Education instructional strategies and school curriculum.
Ability to: Interpret and apply rules and regulations relating to the instruction and curriculum of Special Education students under the State Education Code; review and interpret data and develop plans to decrease over representation of students with disabilities by race and ethnicity; supervise and evaluate assigned personnel; establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of groups and individuals; prepare and present comprehensive, effective oral and written reports; effectively advise appropriate personnel; plan and organize work; meet schedules and time lines.
Significant Physical Abilities include: sitting for prolonged periods of time, reaching/handling/manual dexterity, talking/hearing conversations and other sounds, near visual acuity/depth perception with or without visual accommodation.
Education and Training Required: A Master’s degree or higher in Education Administration, Educational Leadership, Special Education, or related area from an accredited college or university.
Licensing/Special Requirements: Current Oregon Administrative license issued by Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC) or the ability to obtain one. Oregon Fingerprint and Criminal Check clearance.
For Salary information and to apply go to: https://reynolds.tedk12.com/hire/ViewJob.aspx?JobID=4339