South Lane School District
Invites applications for the position of
Location: Cottage Grove, Oregon
Enrollment: 2,700 students
Base Salary: $135,000 to $145,000 plus benefits
Closing Date: January 8, 2020
Start Date: July 1, 2020
About the Position
The South Lane School District Board of Directors is seeking a highly qualified candidate with visionary leadership skills and successful experience in education administration to serve as Superintendent. The successful candidate must have experience as an administrator, excellent communication skills, unquestionable integrity and be willing to be involved in the community. Also, the successful candidate must hold or qualify for an Oregon superintendent's license. The Board will offer a competitive compensation package to the successful candidate.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the following qualities:
• Effective and transparent communication; builds genuine relationships;
• Committed to building a safe, welcoming, inclusive, and tolerant school community;
• Background in teaching and building administration at multiple levels; district-level experience is strongly desired;
• High degree of integrity/honesty; respectful of all groups; culturally competent;
• A visionary with a strong sense of purpose to provide a unified direction committed to serving ALL students;
• Understands Oregon school finance, demonstrates sound fiscal management and budgeting skills;
• Is personable/approachable while keeping an open mind; willing to listen and value the experts in the classroom;
• An innovative leadership style that collaborates, builds consensus, empowers and inspires while building a respectful work environment across the district;
• Puts KIDS first;
• Proven ability to make tough decisions when necessary and effectively communicate the reasons (transparency);
• Ability to build and sustain strong, effective community/business partnerships that impact student success;
• Willingness to make a long-term commitment to our district/community;
• Highly visible; actively participates in school and community activities.
About the District
The South Lane School District serves approximately 2,700 students in grades K-12. The District’s nine schools include two K-5 elementary, two K-8 schools, one 6-8 middle school, two high schools and two sponsored charter schools. Five of the schools are within the city of Cottage Grove, with four schools outside the city. The District employs a staff of 164 full-and part-time licensed staff, 187 full-and part-time classified staff, 12 support staff and 26 supervisor and administrative staff. The District’s general fund budget is approximately $20 million. Niche.com ranks South Lane SD in the top 5% of districts with the best teachers in Oregon.
About the Community
Known as “the Small town with the Big Heart” Cottage Grove is located at the southern tip of the Willamette Valley, 20 miles south of Eugene on Interstate 5. The city’s population is more than 9,000 with approximately 25,000 people in the Cottage Grove area. As the Covered Bridge Capital of Oregon, Cottage Grove is home to six covered bridges including the last remaining covered railroad bridge West of the Mississippi River. The Main Street commercial historic district of Cottage Grove is the most intact collection of early twentieth century buildings in Lane County.
• Completed Application form
• Current resume
• Cover letter of interest
• 3-5 current letters of reference
• Copy of administrator license or proof of eligibility to obtain one
• A statement about how you meet the qualities and qualifications set by the Board
How to Submit an Application
Application packets are submitted to Oregon School Boards Association – Executive Search (www.osba.org/execjobs) via the Revelus application portal (see the link below). All applicants will submit a candidate profile (completed when you create your Revelus account) and a completed application, as well as upload the other application material documents to the application portal. The application packet must be submitted by 5pm on the closing day.
OSBA Revelus application portal: https://oregonschoolboards.myrevelus.com/
Regarding the position, contact:
Steve Kelley, Director of Board Development and Executive Searches
email@example.com • 503.588.2800 • 800.578.6722 • 503.588.2813 (Fax)
Regarding the application process, contact:
Sarah Herb, Executive Search and Events Specialist firstname.lastname@example.org • 503.400-3047 (direct) • 800.578.6722 • 503.588.2813 (Fax)
South Lane School District is an equal opportunity employer.