Dayton School District (OR)
Invites applications for the position of
Location: Dayton, Oregon
Enrollment: 1,019 students
Base Salary: $120,000 to $130,000 plus benefits
Closing Date: January 13, 2020
Start Date: July 1, 2020
About the Position
The Dayton School District Board of Directors is seeking a highly qualified candidate with visionary leadership skills and successful experience in education administration to serve as Superintendent. The successful candidate must have experience as an administrator, excellent communication skills, unquestionable integrity and be willing to be involved in the community. The Board will offer a competitive compensation package to the successful candidate. The successful candidate must hold or qualify for an Oregon superintendent's license.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the following qualities:
• High degree of integrity/honesty; respectful of all groups; strong core values
• Effective and transparent communication; good listening skills; builds relationships;
• Puts KIDS first; is committed to serving all kids;
• Background in teaching and building administration at multiple levels; preferably in small rural communities with diverse populations similar to Dayton;
• Understands Oregon school finance, demonstrates sound fiscal management and budgeting skills; preferably has experience implementing a bond;
• Proven ability to make tough decisions when necessary and effectively communicate the reasons (transparency);
• Is personable/approachable while keeping an open mind; willing to trust the experts in the classroom;
• Ability to build and sustain strong, effective community/business partnerships that impact student success;
• An empowering leadership style that collaborates and builds consensus while building a respectful work environment across the district;
• Highly visible; actively participates in school and community activities.
About the District
The Dayton School District comprises about 1,019 students in one grade school (K-5), one junior high school (6-8) and one high school (9-12). The district employs a staff of 63 licensed employees, 49 classified employees, five confidential employees and four administrators. Dayton has a general operating fund of approximately $13 million and recently passed a capital bond for $11 million.
There is a sense of pride, history and generational memories that run through the entire school community as many of the students represent several generations of families who attended Dayton schools. In addition to the strong community connections, the District boasts high graduation rates, strong dual language cultures, innovation and innovative practices, a focus on social and emotional learning with a commitment to supporting the whole child and an award-winning FFA program.
About the Community
Dayton with a population of about 2,500 people is located between Newberg and McMinnville in Yamhill County, about 40 miles southwest of Portland, Oregon’s largest city. Situated in the beautiful Mid-Willamette Valley, Dayton provides excellent recreational activities from the Oregon Coast to the Cascade Mountains. Chemeketa Community College in nearby Salem provides high quality post-secondary educational opportunities. Nearly a dozen excellent private and public colleges and universities are within an hour’s drive. Dayton’s pedestrian-friendly downtown centers around a historic town square that is reminiscent of the way it existed 100 years ago, giving it a unique sense of place. The quaint, small town atmosphere, town square events, and town’s 41 places on the National Register of Historic Places appeal to visitors and locals seeking ‘real life experiences’.
• Completed Application form
• Current resume
• Cover letter of interest
• 3-5 current letters of reference
• Copy of administrator license or proof of eligibility to obtain one
• A statement about how you meet the qualities and qualifications set by the Board
How to Submit an Application
Application packets are submitted to Oregon School Boards Association – Executive Search (www.osba.org/execjobs) via the Revelus application portal (see the link below). All applicants will submit a candidate profile (completed when you create your Revelus account) and a completed application, as well as upload the other application material documents to the application portal. The application packet must be submitted by 5pm on the closing day.
OSBA Revelus application portal:https://oregonschoolboards.myrevelus.com/
Regarding the position or the application process, contact:
Sarah Herb, Executive Search and Events Specialist email@example.com • 503.400-3047 (direct) • 800.578.6722 • 503.588.2813 (Fax)
Dayton School District is an equal opportunity employer.