Posting Timeline: Open till filled
Recruitment for: Educational Assistant - ESL/Bilingual Somali
The Bilingual Educational Assistant provides designated supporting services to a classroom teacher or teaching staff responsible for students in classrooms, resource centers or other school and school related areas including tutoring ESL and bilingual students in the mainstream classroom.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Supports the instruction of ELL students in English and/or native language under the supervision of a certified, licensed teacher.
2. Assist, promote and supports family involvement communication between family and the school (e.g., attendance).
3. Support instruction in native language literacy where appropriate.
4. Provide translations and interpretation services as appropriate, with the time provided during their scheduled working hours.
5. Attends meetings including parent conferences, evening activities, home visits and ESL/Bilingual Education department meetings
6. Other duties as required
1. Two (2) years, full time, college coursework to meet the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). (Official Transcripts required at time of hire)
2. Experience working with ESL/Bilingual students.
3. Experience working with ESL/Bilingual parents.
4. Bilingual fluency in the language (Vietnamese, Russian, Spanish, Somali etc.) and cultural competence.
5. Training in Content Area Methodology.
6. Demonstrate standards of moral character and behavior as required of teachers (e.g., to serve as an effective role model for students).
7. Ability to work with children and families from a low-income background and with who English is a second language.
SALARY: $16.48 - $21.50
WORK YEAR: 192
FTE: 0.438 (17.5 Hours per week)
HOW TO APPLY: Please visit http://careers.pps.net and select Job ID 21579