David Douglas School District (OR)
Invites applications for the position of
HIGH SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
Location: Portland, Oregon (East Portland area)
District Enrollment: 9,300 students
HS Enrollment: 3,000 (approx.)
Base salary: $126,302 - $136,326 annually (DOE) plus benefits including TSA
Contract Days: 260 days
Closing Date: Jan. 29, 2021 (but open until filled)
Start Date: July 1, 2021
The David Douglas School District is requesting professional applications for a High School Principal position beginning July 1, 2021. The primary functions of the principal is to lead, direct and administer all school operations and activities including instructional programs, support services, facility and ground operations, maintenance, student activities, and community relations activities that result in student achievement and community conﬁdence.
About the Position
The primary purpose of the position of High School Principal is to serve as the instructional and climate leader of the school and, as such, be responsible for the organization and supervision of the school’s educational program, operation of the school facility, participation in staff and student activities, and establishment of effective community relations.
Terms of Employment: 260 contract days per year. Base annual salary is $126,302 to $136,326 depending on experience (currently according to 2020-21 administrative salary schedule) plus benefits which includes a TSA.
Reports to: Superintendent
• Master’s Degree
• Eligible for appropriate administrative license
• Valid driver's license and evidence of insurability
• Criminal Justice ﬁngerprint clearance
• Multi-Cultural (preferred)
• Bi-Lingual (preferred)
• Five years’ experience as a building teacher and or administrator. Preference will be given to administrators with high school experience.
About the School
David Douglas High School, the home of the Scots, is located in the outer East Side of Portland, Oregon. Historically one of the largest high schools in Oregon with a population just under 3,000 students, David Douglas is the lone high school of a district consisting of three middle schools, nine elementary schools and a total of about 9,300 students district wide.
In addition to being among the largest, David Douglas High School perhaps the most broadly diverse in Oregon with 35% of students identifying as White, 26% Hispanic, 18% Asian, 12% Black, 6% Multi-ethnic, and 3% identifying as Native American/Pacific Islander. In any given year you may find up to 50 different languages being spoken on campus. The school has 169 licensed staff, including five Assistant Principals. About 85 classified employees work DDHS.
DDHS has a belief that you can't teach someone until you show them how much you care. Because David Douglas is a large comprehensive high school, a wide variety of both academic and elective opportunities exist. An education at David Douglas is designed to connect a student to their future. Here are some notables about the high school.
• Niche.com rates as #3 Most Diverse High School in Portland area with a B+ overall rating
• Each year over 9,000 college credits earned by DDHS students
• The campus has a 400-seat Performing Arts Center and a relatively new, state of the art Aquatic Center in addition to two full-sized gyms.
• DDHS has its own student run restaurant, coffee shop and auto repair shop
• The top performing music program has 6 instrumental groups and 6 vocal groups
• School and District annually awarded "Best Communities for Music Education" Award by Grammys Foundation
• Graduation rate has been increasing yearly for more than a decade
• Eleven career pathways for students to choose in a robust CTE program
• Top notch drama department performances
• Visual Arts department offers programs for general art, ceramics, jewelry and AP studio arts with several works displayed in State Capitol and received National recognition
• DDHS offers 19 different athletic programs and about 30 after-school clubs with clubs such as Black Student Union, Latino Network, Food Justice, Pride Club, Rocket Club and Mock Trial among many others.
• Strong relationships with culturally specific community organizations such as Reaching and Empowering All People (REAP), Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization (IRCO), Latino Network (LN),Self Enhancement Inc. (SEI), and African Youth and Community Organization (AYCO
• Active Parent Teacher Student Association heavily involved in both fund raising and hosting student events
Please complete the online TalentEd Recruit & Hire Application at the following web address:
Include the following documents in your TalentEd Recruit & Hire application:
• Personal letter of application stating why you are interested in this position
• Current resume
• Statement of your philosophy about student achievement (1 page)
• Statement outlining the most innovative initiative or program you have created (1 page)
• Three (3) letters of recommendation
If selected, candidates will complete an intensive interview process including: on demand activities, writing activities, and evaluation activities. All application materials must be completed in full.
For questions regarding the application process or about the positions, contact:
Darcy Powers, Human Resources Manager
David Douglas School District
11300 NE Halsey St.
Portland, Oregon 97220
David Douglas School District is an Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer and welcomes applications from candidates that expand the District's diversity.