Portland Public Schools envisions every student, every teacher, every school succeeding. We are actively seeking a talented, driven professional who is energized by big challenges. If you are solution-oriented, a strong communicator and collaborator, and passionate about urban education, then this is the place for you!
We are seeking a dynamic leader with a demonstrated record of improving student performance and eliminating achievement disparities to join us as our Academic Programs Administrator of Mathematics Education. As the Academic Programs Administrator of Mathematics Education, you will report to the Director of Mathematics in the STEAM Department. You will support the district's transformational work to develop and support our teachers, school leaders, and instructional staff. As the Academic Programs Administrator, you will help lead the vision to accelerate how school leaders and school site teams, along with district teams, support the creation of the conditions for student success. You will serve as a strong collaborator across the District to align and integrate curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
- Commitment to the belief that all students can learn, to educational equity, and to the District’s vision and mission as it is related to the Graduate Portrait and Racial Equity and Social Justice Framework.
- Assists in the planning and supporting the development and/or establishment of a unified, District-wide PK-12 mathematics curriculum, ensuring that it is rigorous, culturally responsive, and reflects current research and theory in instruction.
- Communicates regularly, under the supervision of the Director of Mathematics, to manage and lead the development, selection, implementation, evaluation, and refinement of PPS’s PK-12 academic programming, curricula, and assessment system to accelerate student growth and achievement.
- Communicates frequently with principals, teachers, data teams, community agencies, and others to ensure coordination of math-related programs and services, including vertical and horizontal articulation of skills and content sequence.
- Support the Director of Mathematics in the development and introduction of a variety of approaches to improve instruction and effectiveness by working at various levels (classroom- school- system-wide) to directly support instruction, intervention, and transformational instructional practices.
- Under supervision of the Director of Mathematics, assists in the management of budgets for curricular and other projects within the scope of responsibility for mathematics.
- Support the Director of Mathematics in effectively managing large scale, long term projects, shifting priorities in a high-demand, fast-paced environment;
- Demonstrate a commitment to data-driven problem-solving and decision-making;
- Performs other responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Mathematics.
- Support the Director of Mathematics in the implementation of high-quality/effective mathematics instruction in schools, including observing and coaching teachers to improve instructional planning, teaching practice, and the use of data, assessment, and instructional technology.
- Experience in designing and leading professional development, with emphasis on mathematics.
- Ensures that the professional development program for mathematics is focused on how students learn, encompasses both content and pedagogical knowledge and skills, promotes collegial learning, and includes job-embedded opportunities for growth.
- Ability to Serve as the central office contact and liaison with parents and the community regarding the mathematics instructional program.
- Knowledge of research-based mathematics curriculum/curriculum development, instruction and assessment practices, especially relative to interventions with struggling learners and students of varying cultural heritages and English proficiencies;
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and school administrators to develop policies and school structures that incorporate effective teaching strategies and use of resources, in mathematics.
- Knowledge of CCSS for Mathematics in Oregon state and standards based education;
- Knowledge of and experience with the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium, and researched-based best practices in curriculum design and instruction.
- Ability to collect and analyze performance data including, but not limited to, NWEA MAP assessment, DreamBox, state and District assessments regarding the achievement of students, work samples, and other pertinent information affecting the design and evaluation of mathematics curriculum and instructional practices.
- Master’s degree in Mathematics or Education.
- A teaching license with an endorsement in mathematics (current or previously held),
- An active Oregon Administrative License issued by the Teacher and Standards Practice Commission or the ability to obtain licensure by the first day of employment.
- Six years of experience, as follows:
- Three (3) years as a successful mathematics classroom teacher at multiple levels
- Three (3) years of professional K-12 teaching experience with direct responsibility for improving curriculum and instruction in mathematics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of research-based curriculum development, program implementation and evaluation, child growth and development K-12, effective instructional strategies, classroom management, and learning assessment and diagnosis.
- Demonstrated competency in evidence-based instructional practices such as Universal Design for Learning and tiered academic instructional supports.
- Experience administering and interpreting results from various mathematics assessments, as well as using the results to determine instructional implications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of public school laws and policies as they relate to the delivery of instructional services.
- Demonstrated success working both independently and collaboratively with diverse individuals as well as leveraging different strategies and interpersonal skills to move the work forward.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbal and written, with the ability to foster positive working relationships.
- Success managing details and the day-to-day implementation of multiple projects simultaneously and seamlessly.
How to Apply
Please visit our website at: https://www.pps.net/Page/2158