Autism Spectrum Disorder Consultant
The Autism Program at Southern Oregon Education Service District (SOESD) brings consultation, coaching, evaluation for ASD eligibility, and technical assistance to educators, professionals and families, who support students with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) from birth-to-21. We work in partnership with school districts, early intervention/early childhood special education agencies, local health care and community agencies. Our team of 2 licensed ASD Specialists, 1 BCBA, 6 ASD Consultants, and 2 ASD Assistants train, coach and support educational staff in districts, as well as parents and child care providers, with an emphasis upon building capacity. The services we provide include:
• Offer a broad array of professional development opportunities, tailored to the needs of requesting school districts, community and parent partner organizations
• Provide training and coaching to para educators, 1:1, small and large groups at the request of school districts
• Select and implement Evidence-Based Practices (EBPs), based upon individualized student assessments
• Complete school-age ASD evaluations for special education eligibility
• Complete birth to age-5 ASD evaluations in collaboration with a local developmental pediatrician and the Jackson County EI/ECSE program (Speech and Language Pathologist) for determination of joint ASD Diagnosis/Special Education Eligibility
• Conduct Functional Behavioral Assessments and Behavior Intervention Plans
• Teach the expanded core curriculum (ECC) including social skills, functional communication, organization, self-advocacy, adaptive/life skills, etc.
• Assist in developing Individualized Education Plans (IEP) and Individualized Family Service Plans (IFSP), including accommodations and modifications to ensure access to instruction
• Build partnerships through state-level Professional Learning Community (PLC) meetings and local community and social service events
• Host a library of books, curricula, assessment tools and instructional materials available for check-out by districts
Our services are constantly evolving based upon latest research and the changing needs of schools, classrooms and children. We provide technical assistance in the area of autism spectrum disorders to local districts, Early Intervention providers, and other related agencies.
POSITION GOAL: Provide technical assistance in the area of autism spectrum disorders to local districts, Early Intervention providers, and other related agencies.
1. Act as regional autism services referral point for assigned geographical area.
2. Participate in multidisciplinary team assessment.
A. Conduct parent interview and student observations, screening, and
assessment as appropriate.
B. Assist in location and use of appropriate assessment instruments.
C. Assist district with sharing of assessment results with parents.
D. Pursue other assessments at request of districts.
3. Participate in IFSP/ IEP implementation:
A. Assist in location and use of appropriate assessment instruments
B. Conduct assessments as appropriate.
C. Participate in development of goals and objective.
D. Assist in placement decisions.
E. Provide evaluation and monitoring as appropriate.
F. Assist in program development and implementation to ensure
generalization of skills across people, places, events, and time.
G. Assist in program development and implementation that provides for
transition across programs and service providers.
4. Act as liaison between school staff, family (care providers), community, and
other service agencies.
5. Assist in development and implementation of programs designed to modify
the student’s behavior and improve student communication and language
ability and improve student performance in regular programs with
6. Assist in identification of inservice needs for school personnel, family, and
7. Provide inservice training to school personnel, family, and community.
8. Assist and participate in review and monitoring of services.
9. Assist and participate in training to increase knowledge and improve ability
to fulfill responsibilities of teacher of students with autism.
10. Perform physical requirements unaided or with the assistance of reasonable
If interested in seeking employment at Southern Oregon ESD, please apply directly by visiting our website at http://www.soesd.k12.or.us/jobssoesd/ openings and look for posting #527.
Here you will find a complete job description, requirements and application. To be considered for this position, a formal application must be submitted through our website.
The SOESD is an equal opportunity employer. SOESD provides a competitive salary and benefit package.
1. TSPC licensure or ODE authorization.
2. Must meet professional competencies required by the Oregon Department of Education.
3. Successful experience providing comprehensive evaluations and data based
interventions to students with autism spectrum disorders.
LENGTH OF POSITION: 190 day School Year / 1.0 FTE
SALARY RANGE: Per licensed collective bargaining agreement $50,020.00 - $81,999.00
SUPERVISOR: Program Administrator
The following physical requirements are essential functions of the job description:
Autism Spectrum Disorder Consultant
1. Stand/Walk: None 1-4 Hrs/Day X4-6 Hrs/Day 6-8 Hrs/Day
2. Sit: None 1-4 Hrs/Day X4-6 Hrs/Day 6-8 Hrs/Day
3. Drive: None X1-4 Hrs/Day 4-6 Hrs/Day 6-8 Hrs/Day
4. Bending: Frequently Occasionally XLimited Not At All
5. Squat: Frequently Occasionally XLimited Not At All
6. Climb Stairs: Frequently Occasionally XLimited Not At All
7. Single Grasping: Frequently Occasionally XLimited Not At All
8. Pushing: Frequently Occasionally XLimited Not At All
9. Pulling: Frequently Occasionally XLimited Not At All
10. Fine Manipulation: Frequently Occasionally XLimited Not At All
11. Repetitive Foot Controls Frequently Occasionally XLimited Not At All
12. Lifting (less than 25 lbs): Frequently Occasionally XLimited Not At All
13. Lifting (25 - 50 lbs): Frequently Occasionally Limited XNot At All
14. Lifting (50 - 75 lbs): Frequently Occasionally Limited XNot At All
15. Lifting (75 - 100 lbs): Frequently Occasionally Limited XNot At All