You are here
2017 Early Learning Conference Pre-K-3
Oregon Educators Together: Learn, Inspire, Lead
- Miriam Calderon, System Director, Early Learning Division- Bio
- Karen Mapp, Ed.D., Senior Lecturer on Education, Harvard Graduate School of Education - Bio
- Gloria Pereyra-Robertson, Kindergarten Teacher, Washington Elementary School, Medford SD (2017 Oregon Teacher of the Year) - Bio
- Kathy Griffin, Lead Literacy Specialist, Scholastic Education - Bio
Breakout Sessions: Click here to view the sessions.
Pre-Conference - Wednesday, November 15th:
This training is approved by the Oregon Department of Education.
Understanding and Recognizing Dyslexia (8:00 to 11:45) - In July of 2015, the state of Oregon passed new dyslexia legislation that requires one K-5 teacher in each K-5 school to complete training that enables the teacher to understand and recognize dyslexia. This half-day session will provide teachers and administrators with the most widely accepted definition of dyslexia and information regarding the prevalence of dyslexia and common co-morbid exceptionalities. The neurological aspects of dyslexia will be discussed along with research demonstrating the power of early intervention in normalizing the brain of students with dyslexia. Common myths and misconceptions regarding dyslexia will be addressed.
Participants will be provided with a framework for typical reading development and the corresponding warning signs or indicators of dyslexia as compared to typical development by grade level. An overview of initial screening for risk factors of dyslexia will be provided as well as the elements of a typical educational evaluation. Participants will also learn about the importance of the use of assistive technology and other classroom accommodations to assist students with dyslexia to access course content and allow them to benefit from the strengths they bring to the classroom. This session is part of the Department’s approved dyslexia training series for teachers.
NEW! This year's conference will feature a special activity with Playworks and a Scholastic Book Fair!
- Framework for Planning, Implementing, and Evaluating PreK-3rd Grade Approaches
- Scholastic Summer Reading Programs
- Playworks programs and activities