2018 Summer Teaching, Learning, and Assessment Institute
Empowering Every Student to Succeed
Register your team today!
Why should you attend:
“With nearly 50 unique breakout sessions the Summer Teaching, Learning, and Assessment Institute has something to offer every educator. It is a well-rounded conference focused on a well-rounded education!
A team from your district will be able to bring back key learnings on trauma informed practices, new federal accountability guidelines, civil rights, dropout prevention, dyslexia screening, formative assessment practices, social emotional learning, growing CTE programs, Oregon Mathways, pillars of exceptional teaching, supporting student transitions, and much, much more. Check out the entire list of sessions here.
The year’s Institute will allow you to make new connections, plan your district or school fall inservice activities with the most current information, and stay electronically connected to ODE staff and others on key topics of interest to you.
It will be worth your time. Register today” - Colt Gill, Director, Oregon Department of Education
August 1st (Pre-Conference):
- ODE "Leveraging Continuous Improvement to Promote Well-Rounded Education" - The Oregon Department of Education has been hard at work developing systems, tools and resources aimed at reducing burden to school districts and schools to improve alignment of programs and associated planning and reporting requirements. Revisions to the Continuous Improvement Process offers a key shift in our commitment to equity and can better promote strategies and approaches towards a well-rounded education for each and every child in Oregon. Please join us, as partners, to embark upon a new era of continuous improvement and see first-hand the redesigned models, processes, and tools including the new accountability data reporting and high-level needs assessment.
- Educational Excellence "Stop talking the Talk. Walk the Walk: How Teacher Teams Help Kids Succeed!" - This active workshop delves deep into a process that helps educators at all levels better understand how to move toward guaranteed and viable curriculum via, the Common Core State Standards, how to measure student learning by creating and using meaningful classroom assessments. During this guided practice session, participants will utilize a structured Data Team process and a set of actual student work to plan and differentiate instruction. We will utilize key tools of the trade that support reflective practices and provide tips for implementation. Bring your teams! Districts should come with directors, principals, lead teachers, team facilitators and new staff. This session is highly recommended for:
- Staff struggling to gain efficiency in executing the seven steps of the data team process
- New staff and administrators
- Districts that need training without the hefty price tag
- School Board and community members who want to understand proper use of assessment data
August 2-3rd (Main Conference):
- Chris Minnich, CEO, Northwest Evaluation Association - Chris Minnich formerly served as Director of Test Design and Implementation at the Oregon Department of Education from 2003-2005. While there, he effectively led the statewide implementation of Oregon’s online assessment. Most recently, he successfully served as the executive director of the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO). Currently, Chris is the Chief Executive Officer of NWEA.
- Cyndie Schmeiser, Strategic Advisor - Cyndie leads strategic initiatives focused on forging stronger connections between assessment and instruction. She served as College Board's Chief of Assessment, President and Chief Operating Officer of ACT's Education Division, and as the president of the National Council of Measurement in Education (NCME).