2019 Aspiring Superintendent Program
INTERESTED IN THE SUPERINTENDENCY?
Join us for a one-day seminar preparing potential superintendent candidates for the position.
Click here for the program flyer.
Feb. 20, 2019, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
COSA Office, Salem
Call 503-581-3141 to register. No cost.
The Aspiring Superintendent Seminar provides a rich, collegial cohort opportunity for leaders who wish to become Oregon superintendents.
Learn how to apply for the many vacancies that will be available in Oregon for the 2019-2020 school year and how to be prepared for the process. Hear from state and national superintendent search consultants about what school boards and districts are looking for in a superintendent.
This seminar will show you the rewards and challenges today’s superintendents face, the politics of the position, how to work with school boards, negotiating your contract, and most importantly: what administrators DON’T know about the position!
One goal of the seminar will be to have potential candidates fully prepared to enter into a superintendent search process.
Topics covered during the seminar will include:
- Navigating the Superintendent search process
- Search firm tips
- Frequently asked questions
- Needed application materials
- Preparing for an interview
- Developing a district vision and focus
- Enhancing school district and community relations
- Board governance and the role of the superintendent
- Understanding Oregon’s State School Fund (SSF) model
- Instructional leadership vs. operations – finding the balance
Informational Breakout Sessions
These one-hour presentations at upcoming COSA conferences are designed for educators considering a position as a superintendent in the near future. See the conference agenda for exact times.
- Special Education Conference: Oct. 4-5
- Annual Principal’s Conference: Oct. 21-22
- Oregon Law Conference: Dec. 5-7
- Winter Conference: Jan. 24-26, 2019
- Others TBD
For more info: