For Administrators, Counselors, Teachers, and Health & Community Leaders Supporting Our Schools
"Trauma Is A Word, Not A Sentence"
Trauma is real, and it is more prevalent than we might believe. In this engaging, relevant, and practical session, learn from childhood trauma expert Kristin Souers and former principal Pete Hall (co-authors of Fostering Resilient Learners: Strategies for creating a trauma-sensitive classroom) about the importance of trauma informed practices in the school setting. Participants will be introduced to and provided with opportunities to reflect on information centered around the role that trauma plays in the school environment; the importance of self-awareness and regulation and strategies to support these in the school setting; the power of relationships and the role they plays in the establishment and maintenance of school safety; and the importance of self-care and the need for the professionals to have tools and strategies to support their own health. This professional development experience will emphasize strength-based approaches to use with students, families, fellow faculty, school personnel, and community members. Come as a team and strategize in collaborative table talk settings!
Join Kristin Van Marter Souers and Pete Hall for this team learning planning event that will focus on trauma informed practice at the school and classroom level.
Intended Professional Learning Outcomes:
1. Participants will deepen their understanding of the prevalence of childhood trauma and the impact of trauma and toxic stress on learning and development.
2. Participants will explore multiple strategies for education staff and community members to utilize with children with (known and unknown) trauma histories – helping to sustain learning-ready states.
3. Participants will collaborate to identify best practices associated with trauma-informed care that they can implement into their workplace settings.
4. Participants will reflect on how this information impacts their role and their overall health, collecting several suggestions for self-care and self-awareness.
This summit featuring Kristin and Pete will be especially useful for school and district teams. The summit is an opportunity to bring our health and education partners together to learn about shaping our school systems, community partners, classroom practices, and cultures to create compassionate, versatile, and healthy teaching and learning environments. Contact Sera Lockwood
to take advantage of this registration opportunity.
Kristin Van Marter Souers, Mental Health Counselor / Consultant - Bio
Pete Hall, Speaker, Author & Professional Development Agent - Bio
Full-Day Session - 8:30 to 3:15
- “What Does It Mean to be Trauma Informed”
- “Impact of Trauma On Learning and Graduation Rate”
- “Strategies for Staff and Community”
- “Self-Care and Awareness”
- “Best Practice”