You are here
2020 State English Learners Alliance Conference
Register your team now!
Featured Pre-Conference and Thursday Keynote Speaker
Wednesday Pre-Conference, March 11, 2020 - 1:00-4:00
Thursday Keynote, March 12, 2020 - 8:30-9:15
Carol Salva, Educational Consultant, Seidlitz Education - Bio
Pre-Conference: "Effective Questioning & Structured Conversations for ALL Learners, Especially ELs" - Oral language support is critical for English Learners but output is also vital for strengthening our first and academic language abilities (Zwiers, 2014). If we want to extend the learning of the entire class, it is important to realize that student-to-student interaction, focused on lesson concepts, has been shown to have a significant effect on student achievement (Marzano 2001). This session breaks down practical techniques that help teachers facilitate structured conversations while differentiating for a diverse classroom. Carol Salva will model ways to properly support these interactions and participants will be able to reflect on the practical approach. Come experience these strategies that engage your English learners and also boost the achievement of your on-level, native English speakers. Leave with resources to get this off the ground tomorrow!
Featured Pre-Conference Speaker
Wednesday, March 11, 2020 - 9:00-12:00
Mark Kadel, Vulnerability Management Consultant - Bio
Walk in their shoes, A Refugee Simulation Experience - Ever had a refugee child suddenly show up in your class in the middle of the school year without a clue about rules or acceptable classroom behavior? Ever wonder why they may not pay attention to your instructions? Step into an experience of what it feels like to suddenly lose all your normal communication skills. Lead by Mark Kadel with over 25 years’ experience working both overseas and domestically with refugee children, learn the truth about the current refugee situation and experience a short simulation of “walking in their shoes”. This pre-conference is full. To be placed on a waiting list, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Featured Friday Keynote Speaker
Friday, March 13, 2020 - 8:30-9:15
Juan-Carlos Chavez, Assistant Superintendent, Oregon Department of Education Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion - Bio
Breakout Sessions - More coming!
- "So...What is this DALL training about anyhow?"
- Adapting Reading Interventions: Using best practices for ELs
- Adapting text and writing tasks in social studies/humanities lessons
- Assessing Achievement in Students' Primary Language
- Broadening Multilingual Family Engagement in the TEAMS project
- Collaborative Coaching Model for Content Instruction - Making Meaning for English Learners
- Co-Teaching in Elementary: Connecting the Dots between Content, Language, Writing & Technology
- Co-teaching with ELD and SpEd to Provide Students with More Opportunities
- Developing Metalanguage and Awareness of Linguistic Differences Between Spanish and English
- Dual Language Learners in the Context of Purposeful Play
- ELD Hybrid Model: Students achieve more when teachers work together.
- Engaging English-Language Learners with iPad
- English Learner Students with Disabilities and Opportunities to Learn
- From fun games to substantial SLA understandings: How games can lead to experiential and meaningful learning in PD
- Growing Multilingual Ideologies in Monolingual Systems
- HB 3499 Districts - Collaboration of Minds
- Helping ELL and Migrant Preschoolers be Ready for Kindergarten
- Identities & Discourse as Tools for Survival & Transformation
- Impact Attendance Policy through A Community of Dialogue
- Integrating Science and ESL in K-5: How To and Lessons Learned
- Interrupting Institutional Barriers for Secondary Newcomers
- Language For All: An Inclusive, Language-Rich Classroom K-2
- Listening to Parents of English Learners - Using Empathy Interviews to Guide Practice and Policy
- Making Connections with Community Based Organizations
- Mathluage Arts: Linguistically Integrated Secondary Math Classrooms
- Meaningfully Engaging Linguistically Diverse Parents in the Special Education Process
- Real Tools for Small(ish) Schools: Is it Language or Learning?
- Scaffolding Instruction for English Learners
- School Wide English Learning
- Simple Swaps: Popcorn for Chips – Improving Instructional Practices
- Southern Oregon ESD Sheltered English Instruction Professional Learning Community (SOESD SEI PLC)
- Streamlining Data and Best Practices to Expand Current EL Preschool Model
- Talk Moves: Encouraging Oracy Across the Content Areas
- Teacher Inquiry in a Research-Practice Partnership: Exploring Collaborative Teaching
- The Oregon State Seal of Biliteracy - Empowering Students in a Linguistically Global World
- The Southern Oregon ESD Sheltered English Instruction Professional Learning Community (SOESD SEI PLC)
- Visual, Common Rubrics for Targeted Feedback and Student Self Assessment
- Vocabulary Victories: Engaging Vocabulary Activities Targeting Language Development & Brain Work
Reservations can be made at the Graduate Eugene via the reservations line: 413-821-3144 and referring to the booking code SELA or via the booking link: COSA - State English Learners Alliance Conference Cutoff date to make reservations is 2/18/20.