You are here
2020 State English Learners Alliance Conference
COSA has canceled the English Learners Alliance Conference scheduled to take place in Eugene on March 12 and 13. Governor Kate Brown has announced new steps to stem the spread of the coronavirus in Oregon, including a statewide ban on gatherings of more than 250 people.
COSA is committed to following the direction of Oregon’s public health authorities, including guidance from the Governor, OHA, and ODE, and as a proactive measure we have canceled the English Learners Alliance Conference. COSA wishes to thank attendees, presenters, vendors, and all COSA members for your understanding and patience as we process and work through all of the issues that this action entails. Your patience and support as we work through this situation is greatly appreciated.
ODE Education Equity Stance
Education equity is the equitable implementation of policy, practices, procedures, and legislation that translates into resource allocation, education rigor, and opportunities for historically and currently marginalized youth, students, and families including civil rights protected classes. This means the restructuring and dismantling of systems and institutions that create the dichotomy of beneficiaries and the oppressed and marginalized.
Oregon Equity Lens Decision Tool
We are pleased to announce that Gustavo Balderas, National Superintendent of the Year and Shelly Reggiani, National Women in Education Leadership Award Winner will be speaking to the full conference on Friday, March 13th.
Carmen Xiomara Urbina, Deputy Director, Oregon Department of Education will be attending the State English Learners Alliance Conference on both Thursday, March 12 and Friday March 13. Carmen will welcome all conference attendees. Thursday morning Carmen will also speak about having an Equity Lens and on Friday she will provide an update on the Emergent Bilingual Visioning.
Featured Pre-Conference and Thursday Keynote Speaker
Wednesday Pre-Conference, March 11, 2020 - 1:00-4:00
Thursday Keynote, March 12, 2020 - 8:30-9:15
Carol Salva, Educational Consultant, Seidlitz Education - Bio
Pre-Conference: "Effective Questioning & Structured Conversations for ALL Learners, Especially ELs" - This pre-conference is full. To be placed on a waiting list, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Featured Pre-Conference Speaker
Wednesday, March 11, 2020 - 9:00-12:00
Mark Kadel, Vulnerability Management Consultant - Bio
Walk in their shoes, A Refugee Simulation Experience - This pre-conference is full. To be placed on a waiting list, email email@example.com.
Breakout Sessions - More coming!
- Adapting Reading Interventions: Using best practices for ELs
- Adapting text and writing tasks in social studies/humanities lessons
- Best practices for international transcript review and evaluation
- Bilingual Teacher Pathway Programs in Oregon
- Broadening Multilingual Family Engagement in the TEAMS project
- Career Technical Education programs and ELLs
- Collaborative Coaching Model for Content Instruction - Making Meaning for English Learners
- Co-Teaching in Elementary: Connecting the Dots between Content, Language, Writing & Technology
- Co-teaching with ELD and SpEd to Provide Students with More Opportunities
- Developing Metalanguage and Awareness of Linguistic Differences Between Spanish and English
- Diverse Special Educators - A Pipeline Program
- ELD Hybrid Model: Students achieve more when teachers work together.
- Emergent Bilingual Visioning and Planning
- English Learner Students with Disabilities and Opportunities to Learn
- Expanding Learning Opportunities for ELLs
- From a Perception of Compliance to Co-creating Equity
- From fun games to substantial SLA understandings: How games can lead to experiential and meaningful learning in PD
- Getting it Right: Building Diverse Classroom Libraries
- Growing Multilingual Ideologies in Monolingual Systems
- HB 3499 Districts - Collaboration of Minds
- HB 3499 Support and Implementation - Reflections and Lessons Learned
- Helping ELL and Migrant Preschoolers be Ready for Kindergarten
- Identities & Discourse as Tools for Survival & Transformation
- Indigenous language revival and preservation
- Integrated ELD Panel
- Integrating Science and ESL in K-5: How To and Lessons Learned
- Language For All: An Inclusive, Language-Rich Classroom K-2
- Language Use Survey and Domain Exemption Updates
- Listening to Parents of English Learners - Using Empathy Interviews to Guide Practice and Policy
- Making Connections with Community Based Organizations
- Mathluage Arts: Linguistically Integrated Secondary Math Classrooms
- Meaningfully Engaging Linguistically Diverse Parents in the Special Education Process
- ODE Listening Session
- Real Tools for Small(ish) Schools: Is it Language or Learning?
- Scaffolding Instruction for English Learners
- School Wide English Learning
- Simple Swaps: Popcorn for Chips – Improving Instructional Practices
- So...What is this DALL training about anyhow?
- Southern Oregon ESD Sheltered English Instruction Professional Learning Community (SOESD SEI PLC)
- Streamlining Data and Best Practices to Expand Current EL Preschool Model
- Talk Moves: Encouraging Oracy Across the Content Areas
- Teacher Inquiry in a Research-Practice Partnership: Exploring Collaborative Teaching
- The Oregon State Seal of Biliteracy - Empowering Students in a Linguistically Global World
- The Southern Oregon ESD Sheltered English Instruction Professional Learning Community (SOESD SEI PLC)
- Visual, Common Rubrics for Targeted Feedback and Student Self-Assessment
- Vocabulary Victories: Engaging Vocabulary Activities Targeting Language Development & Brain Work
Reservations can be made at the Graduate Eugene via the reservations line: 413-821-3144 and referring to the booking code SELA or via the booking link: COSA - State English Learners Alliance Conference Cutoff date to make reservations is 2/18/20.