2018-2019 New Superintendents Academy
Objective: To provide beginning Oregon Superintendents an opportunity to create a collaborative learning network focused on key leadership skills and practical strategies to help improve their individual school districts. Participants will attend a series of workshops throughout the 2018-19 school year, scheduled in conjunction with key COSA events and conferences.
Goals: Each of the workshops listed below will be organized around a presentation related to a designated leadership topic. Perspectives unique to ESD’s and districts of varying sizes will be included in each workshop. Following each presentation, time will be provided for participants to ask questions as well as to share immediate concerns and strategic issues with experienced Superintendents. All participants will have the opportunity to share district and ESD-specific procedures and processes for feedback from experienced Superintendents. Those participants who wish to earn 4 graduate level credits toward the Pro AL License must register through Portland State University. The COSA Institute hours may be used as part of the field experience required for the CAL credits.
Jerome Colonna, Superintendent Emeritus
Krista Parent, Director of Executive Leadership
In order to participate in this year-long program, you must be a COSA "Active" member.
Workshop #1: July 19-20, 2018 - COSA Office, Salem - Agenda
19th - COSA Office – Salem 5:00-8:00
20th - COSA Office – Salem 8:00-2:00
- "Role of the Superintendent, School Board and Superintendent Agreements"
- "How to Make the Best Use of Education Organization Resources - COSA, OSBA, ODE"
- "Your First 100 Days as Superintendent"
- "Effective Time Management for Superintendents"
- “Balancing Responsibilities”
- "Your First School Board Meeting"
Workshop #2: September 21, 2018 - Clackamas ESD (9:00-3:00)
- “Opening of School Year: What is Working”
- “What New Superintendent's Need to Know about TSPC”
- "Bonds and Ballots"
- "Key Points about Superintendent Contracts"
- "The First Superintendent Evaluation”
Workshop #3: December 8, 2018 - Hilton, Eugene (8:00-2:00)
- "Public Relations Strategies"
- Charter Schools in Oregon”
- "Out of State License Session"
- “How to Be a Great Leader of Your Administrators”
Workshop #4: January 23-24, 2019 - Salishan, Gleneden Beach
23rd - COSA Office – Salem 5:00-8:00
24th - COSA Office – Salem 8:00-2:00
- "Role of the Superintendent in Budgeting"
- “Budget 101”
- “Ins and Outs of Budgeting”
- “Cutting Budgets Process”
Workshop #5: February 28-1, 2019 – Salem
28th - COSA Office – Salem 5:00-8:00
1st - COSA Office – Salem 8:00-12:00
- "Working with Big Data"
- "Developing and Leading a Culture of Equity"
- "Building and Leading Your Leadership Team: Two Perspectives"
Workshop #6: April 18-19, 2019 – Hilton, Eugene
18th - COSA Office – Salem 5:00-8:00
19th - COSA Office – Salem 8:00-2:00
- “Strategic Planning”
- “Leadership with the Equity Lens”
- "Program Evaluation and Discussion of Planning for 2019-2020"