2018-2019 New Superintendents Academy
Objective: To provide beginning Oregon Superintendents an opportunity to create a collaborative learning network focused on key leadership skills and practical strategies to help improve their individual school districts. Participants will attend a series of workshops throughout the 2018-19 school year, scheduled in conjunction with key COSA events and conferences.
Goals: Each of the workshops listed below will be organized around a presentation related to a designated leadership topic. Perspectives unique to ESD’s and districts of varying sizes will be included in each workshop. Following each presentation, time will be provided for participants to ask questions as well as to share immediate concerns and strategic issues with experienced Superintendents. All participants will have the opportunity to share district and ESD-specific procedures and processes for feedback from experienced Superintendents.
Jerome Colonna, Superintendent Emeritus
Krista Parent, Director of Executive Leadership
In order to participate in this year-long program, you must be a COSA "Active" member.
Workshop #1: July 19-20, 2018 - COSA Office, Salem - Agenda
19th - COSA Office – Salem 5:00-8:00
20th - COSA Office – Salem 8:00-2:00
- "Role of the Superintendent, School Board and Superintendent Agreements" - Materials
- "How to Make the Best Use of Education Organization Resources - COSA, OSBA, ODE"- Materials
- "Your First 100 Days as Superintendent" - Materials
- "Effective Time Management for Superintendents" - Materials
- “Balancing Responsibilities” - Materials
- "Your First School Board Meeting" - Materials
Workshop #2: September 21, 2018 - Clackamas ESD (9:00-3:00) - Agenda
- "Opening of the School Year: What is Working" - Materials
- "How to Prepare for Your First Superintendent Evaluation" - Materials
- "Key Points About Superintendent Employment Contracts" - Materials
- "The Janus v. AFSCME Supreme Court Decision Implications and Guidance"
Workshop #3: December 7, 2018 - Hilton, Eugene (8:00-2:00) - Agenda
- Oregon's Collective Bargaining Process
- Hop Topics
- School Board/Superintendent Governance
- Public Relations and Communications
Workshop #4: January 23-24, 2019 - Salishan, Gleneden Beach
23rd - 5:00-8:00
24th - 8:00-2:00
- "Role of the Superintendent in Budgeting"
- “Budget 101”
- “Ins and Outs of Budgeting”
- “Cutting Budgets Process”
Workshop #5: February 28-1, 2019 – Salem
28th - COSA Office – Salem 5:00-8:00
1st - COSA Office – Salem 8:00-12:00
- "Working with Big Data"
- "Developing and Leading a Culture of Equity"
- "Building and Leading Your Leadership Team: Two Perspectives"
Workshop #6: April 18-19, 2019 – Hilton, Eugene
18th - 5:00-8:00
19th - 8:00-2:00
- “Strategic Planning”
- “Leadership with the Equity Lens”
- "Program Evaluation and Discussion of Planning for 2019-2020"